Prayers composed by those outside the Church
Is it improper to use the prayers of those who are not-Catholic, schismatic, or otherwise not part of the Church if the prayer is orthodox?
If the prayer conforms to Church teaching, is humble and offered by a penitent soul, how could it be anything but pleasing to God.
(06-08-2011, 06:59 PM)Melita Wrote: If the prayer conforms to Church teaching, is humble and offered by a penitent soul, how could it be anything but pleasing to God.

That is what I wanted answered.
(06-08-2011, 06:56 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Is it improper to use the prayers of those who are not-Catholic, schismatic, or otherwise not part of the Church if the prayer is orthodox?

My thoughts would be, yes, it would be improper.  But why in the world would you want to pray possibly heretically authored prayers when the Church has thousands of beautiful and valid prayers which were used for centuries?  My goodness, the countless prayers of the Saints would be enough for me.  Why in the world would you go outside the Church for prayers?  That doesn't make sense to me.  ???
(06-08-2011, 07:00 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 06:59 PM)Melita Wrote: If the prayer conforms to Church teaching, is humble and offered by a penitent soul, how could it be anything but pleasing to God.

That is the answer. A prayer which fulfills those requirements is acceptable.
(06-08-2011, 07:01 PM)NECatholic Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 06:56 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Is it improper to use the prayers of those who are not-Catholic, schismatic, or otherwise not part of the Church if the prayer is orthodox?

My thoughts would be, yes, it would be improper.  But why in the world would you want to pray possibly heretically authored prayers when the Church has thousands of beautiful and valid prayers which were used for centuries?  My goodness, the countless prayers of the Saints would be enough for me.  Why in the world would you go outside the Church for prayers?  That doesn't make sense to me.  ???

Why would it be improper?

And any desire to pray or use such hymns was not part of the issue. I am only interested in the single issue of their use by the faithful.

If you want a examples of how this could occur:

* One hears or reads a prayer that is pleasing and one uses it, only later to find out it was composed by someone outside the Church
* The prayer or hymn expresses something that a faithful person wanted to express, so it is used
(06-08-2011, 07:04 PM)Melita Wrote:

This was parsed as a question: "how could it be anything but pleasing to God."

Are you saying it is pleasing to God, not asking one to consider how it could be anything but pleasing?
(06-08-2011, 07:08 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

Are you saying it is pleasing to God, not asking one to consider how it could be anything but pleasing?

If answering rhetorical questions is how you'd rather spend your time (instead of watching star trek or buying boots), please enjoy  ;D
(06-08-2011, 07:07 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:01 PM)NECatholic Wrote:

Why would it be improper?

And any desire to pray or use such hymns was not part of the issue. I am only interested in the single issue of their use by the faithful.

If you want a examples of how this could occur:

* One hears or reads a prayer that is pleasing and one uses it, only later to find out it was composed by someone outside the Church
* The prayer or hymn expresses something that a faithful person wanted to express, so it is used

Ahh...I'm sorry, I misread your intention.  Yes, I can agree to the two points you pointed out.  I was thinking more along the line of a Catholic actively searching out prayers (even if they were orthodox) composed by heretical and schismatic groups.  Even so, I would still be leery.  At least with authorized Catholic prayers you know they are legit.
(06-08-2011, 07:11 PM)Melita Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:08 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

If answering rhetorical questions is how you'd rather spend your time (instead of watching star trek or buying boots), please enjoy  ;D

I didn't buy my boots yet.

And I am about to watch Star Trek.

And I did want reasons and authority, not weakly worded answers based on personal intuition ;)

This is a matter of proper behaviour and needs to be answered with certainty.