Poll: Do you get the impression that the active posters on Fisheaters represent an accurate cross section of the traditionalist population?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Fisheaters and the traditionalist population
(06-10-2011, 02:08 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(06-10-2011, 12:42 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: I know several trads in real life who actively boycott Fish Eaters because it harbours fundamentalists and racists.

Perhaps these people will have trouble dealing with the real world or with the skeletons in the closet of many an "upstanding" Catholic.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.

What I mean is a lot of people, trad or otherwise, don't have a great appetite for arguments, conspiracy theories and pigeonholing. That's mainly it. So FE skews towards folks who either like that stuff, or are willing to tolerate it in others.
(06-10-2011, 05:39 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(06-10-2011, 02:08 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(06-10-2011, 12:42 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: I know several trads in real life who actively boycott Fish Eaters because it harbours fundamentalists and racists.

Perhaps these people will have trouble dealing with the real world or with the skeletons in the closet of many an "upstanding" Catholic.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.

What I mean is a lot of people, trad or otherwise, don't have a great appetite for arguments, conspiracy theories and pigeonholing. That's mainly it. So FE skews towards folks who either like that stuff, or are willing to tolerate it in others.

The point I was trying to make is that if these people you talk about boycott such an incredibly laid back place like FE because they think they're too good for it, they'll probably have trouble dealing with real life in the real Church where you can find almost anything. Even "upstanding" Catholics can have skeletons in their closets. What would these people do if they found out that their parish harboured pedophiles or racists? And what would they do if they found out that most of the present hierarchy is full of power hungry wolves and homosexual enablers? Boycott Catholicism?

The wheat and the chaff will grow together until the end of time.

And I disagree with your assessment that trads don't have "a great appetite for arguments, conspiracy theories and pigeonholing." Given the present circumstances when traditional Catholicism is (still) little more than a fringe phenomenon, it's quite common to find people who have these proclivities there. I've seen it myself many a time.
(06-10-2011, 05:50 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The point I was trying to make is that if these people you talk about boycott such an incredibly laid back place like FE…
Culture will colour whether FE is seen as “laid back” or not. To me FE is very American in that freedom of speech is held in such high regard, many times at the expense of charitableness. So I think FE is “laid back”, but in a bad way – sort of like a teenager with a messy room. I totally respect Quis’ vision in this regard because otherwise we wouldn’t be free to have the debates we do. But a lot of people can’t tolerate that level of conflict and stress.
(06-10-2011, 05:50 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: …because they think they're too good for it…
I don’t think it’s because they think they’re too good for it… it’s simply because they don’t enjoy it, i.e. don’t feel it’s a good use of their time, or it annoys them too much.
(06-10-2011, 05:50 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: …they'll probably have trouble dealing with real life in the real Church where you can find almost anything.
Well, that’s debatable. Participation in Internet fora is hardly a prerequisite for success in life.
(06-10-2011, 05:50 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Even "upstanding" Catholics can have skeletons in their closets. What would these people do if they found out that their parish harboured pedophiles or racists? And what would they do if they found out that most of the present hierarchy is full of power hungry wolves and homosexual enablers? Boycott Catholicism?
See, I just don’t see the link between this and Fish Eaters. If someone is a Trad in the first place they’ll typically be aware of all this already.
(06-10-2011, 05:50 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: And I disagree with your assessment that trads don't have "a great appetite for arguments, conspiracy theories and pigeonholing." Given the present circumstances when traditional Catholicism is (still) little more than a fringe phenomenon, it's quite common to find people who have these proclivities there. I've seen it myself many a time.

You’re right that more Trads would have interest in these things than non-Trads. I meant, though, that a lot of Trads don’t have proclivities for arguments, conspiracy theories and pigeonholing. But a lot of them do, as you point out.
I voted yes because unlike many other "traditional catholic" forums where the members are either exclusively "sspx" or "diocesan" or something else, this one has a good smattering of all shades of opinion within the 'traditional catholic" community(ies). I like this forum for that reason as is brings us all together  - and there is some security in having broader representation.
(06-10-2011, 06:47 PM)tradconvert Wrote: I voted yes because unlike many other "traditional catholic" forums where the members are either exclusively "sspx" or "diocesan" or something else, this one has a good smattering of all shades of opinion within the 'traditional catholic" community(ies). I like this forum for that reason as is brings us all together  - and there is some security in having broader representation.

Yes, you don't have to follow a particular party line.
in Europe perhaps not. Thats not FE's fault everyone is so fragmented here, and tends to be pigeonholed  - i'm basically NO but i have huge respect for the people that post here. They know what they think and feel and say it.
Wow.. Lot's more yes's than I expected
I voted no. As most trads that I've met, other than being goofballs and nice; are rather boring, mundane, and un-eventful.  Here, folks have all a manner of theories, crazy-talk, arguments, kookiness, fun, and even a bit jansenistical tendencies that I never see in real-life at all, ever.