Koran reading in Catholic Church *canceled*
(06-11-2011, 11:09 PM)m.PR Wrote:
(06-11-2011, 10:05 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(06-11-2011, 05:19 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(06-11-2011, 05:15 PM)Thomas58 Wrote: Did he kiss the Koran before he read it?

No Koran was actually read.

Nevertheless, it's not customary for an Imam to kiss it before reading from it, as far as I know.

I actually wonder, ironically, if "orthodox Muslims" would approve of kissing the Koran.  They are fairly simplistic and extreme in their idea of what constitutes the worship of idols, and perhaps kissing a copy of the Koran would violate this?

Are you saying that when Pope John Paul II kissed the Koran, he actually meant to subtly insult them?  :o

Re-Doubled agent    :doh:
(06-12-2011, 03:12 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(06-11-2011, 11:09 PM)m.PR Wrote:
(06-11-2011, 10:05 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(06-11-2011, 05:19 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(06-11-2011, 05:15 PM)Thomas58 Wrote: Did he kiss the Koran before he read it?

No Koran was actually read.

Nevertheless, it's not customary for an Imam to kiss it before reading from it, as far as I know.

I actually wonder, ironically, if "orthodox Muslims" would approve of kissing the Koran.  They are fairly simplistic and extreme in their idea of what constitutes the worship of idols, and perhaps kissing a copy of the Koran would violate this?

Are you saying that when Pope John Paul II kissed the Koran, he actually meant to subtly insult them?  :o

Re-Doubled agent    :doh:

The best writing I have seen on this is from Jimmy Akin:

[quote]As a result, as a man of his generation, John Paul II--for the best of motives--may have overestimated both the need for and the utility of gestures such as the one exhibited in the Quran-kissing event.

If the former pontiff did understand that the gift was a Quran and if he wasn't under the impression that kissing a gift was a standard response in Iraqi culture then I would suppose that he did so out of a desire to foster peace and interreligious harmony, but it would still have been a mistake to my mind.

The Quran, whatever elements of truth it contains, also contains venomous attacks on the divinity of Christ and on Christian doctrine and these make it inappropriate for the Vicar of Christ to kiss it under any circumstances.

John Paul II also may not have been attending to the gravity of the false elements in the Quran. Even if he knew them, he may not have been thinking about them and may have acted on the spur of the moment, without fully thinking through his action.

Fortunately, the infallibility of the pope and the indefectibility of the Church do not extend to such actions. A pope is not attempting to make anything remotely like a dogmatic definition in an act of this nature. And so, however misguided the action may have been and however good the motives for it may have been, it would constitute an error that does not touch upon papal infallibility or ecclesial indefectibility.

It would be one of the mistakes that all fallen humans are heir to, even the vicars of Christ. [quote]

http://www.jimmyakin.org/2006/04/jp2_and_the_qur.html
It would seem that Truth won this battle, but as always in the War of Modernism, this will probably not be the end.  :duel:

Does anybody know of any disciplinary consequences for the people involved?
(06-12-2011, 08:51 AM)Paddy of Denmark Wrote: It would seem that Truth won this battle, but as always in the War of Modernism, this will probably not be the end.  :duel:

I don't think there is any disciplinary consequence for a priest who plans to do something so wrong but then decides not to when the law against it is brought to his attention.
(06-12-2011, 04:50 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 08:51 AM)Paddy of Denmark Wrote: It would seem that Truth won this battle, but as always in the War of Modernism, this will probably not be the end.  :duel:

I don't think there is any disciplinary consequence for a priest who plans to do something so wrong but then decides not to when the law against it is brought to his attention.
Of course there is no consequence, he just pleads ignorance...as they all do!!!!
(06-12-2011, 09:26 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 04:50 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

Of course there is no consequence, he just pleads ignorance...as they all do!!!!

It's not that he could plead ignorance ... it's that he didn't go ahead with the koran-reading ... why should there be disciplinary consequences for *not* doing the wrong thing?