Why does everyone blame God when bad things happen?
(06-11-2011, 10:17 PM)mistman Wrote: A married couple has one child after years of barrenness and finally a miracle happens. At 6 years of age, the child becomes ill with leukemia and dies. People say things like "the Lord works in mysterious ways" when heartbreak like this occurs and sometimes, I think it is more cruel than helpful. I want people to come back to the Catholic Church, not turn them away.

It seems that the omnipotence of God could acknowledge a fierce struggle between good and evil in the middle but eventual victory for Jesus Christ in the end. Can't demons hurt people too, by taking people's children away or possession? Why does everyone blame God when hurtful things happen?

I've been told my views on this aren't correct by other Catholics but I don't understand why. I thought we fought against dark powers from above and that demons hate human beings, especially Catholics, because God chose to become one of us.

We have to remember that when a child dies it is not some kind of punishment from God for something the child or the parents have done. Death is a result of sin, and everyone will die. My brother died when he was 1 and there were certain relatives who said something about how my parents must have done something wrong that God was doing this to them.

If a demon could cause a child to die at a very young age he would just be hurting himself. Children who have not yet reached the age of reason cannot sin, and children who have reached the age of reason are protected in a special way from committing mortal sins. Either way, that child is probably going to heaven, and from there he can pray for the rest of his family. :)

I think the reason people get angry at God after loosing a loved-one is that their loss makes them realize their human nature. When they realize that humans can't control everything, like so many people want to, they get angry. They turn their anger towards God because God is the only one who is all powerful, and they associate their friend's/ child's death with a lack of help from God.
Another reason that could be true is that maybe they are not close to God or do not pray often. They realize that they need to, but do not know how. This could easily result in frustration and turn to anger towards God. When people get angry, there is usually a deeper reason that they do not think about.
(06-15-2011, 02:38 PM)Lydia Grace Wrote: I think the reason people get angry at God after loosing a loved-one is that their loss makes them realize their human nature. When they realize that humans can't control everything, like so many people want to, they get angry. They turn their anger towards God because God is the only one who is all powerful, and they associate their friend's/ child's death with a lack of help from God.

Qft
(06-15-2011, 02:19 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(06-15-2011, 01:59 PM)mistman Wrote: "Also : you're welcome"

Can someone explain the debate going on in the last few threads? QTF? I don't know what that means. Thanks. 

Also, I'm curious how Job explains disasters and diseased children or terminated unborns. Isn't God also in the middle of this fight with us? The God of the Old Testament was very angry with humanity because the ultimate sacrifice He made for us had not yet been made. Thus, I understand Job in this light. I do not understand its context after Jesus Christ.

I want our priests to be active fighters against evil, not passive accepters of it as the Jews and Moslems are. We have a real church, they don't. Naturally evil happens to them. 

Job shows that evil happens to good people for two reasons: 1. To test their faith (its easy to be faithful when everything goes your way) 2. Because Satan hates good people.

Still, when Job asks why does God allow this God responds by saying this is an insulting question. God created the world. He has given us so much. Everything really. Who are we to question him?  If we truly love God we will understand we are his servants not the other way around.

This.
(06-15-2011, 02:38 PM)Lydia Grace Wrote:
(06-11-2011, 10:17 PM)mistman Wrote: A married couple has one child after years of barrenness and finally a miracle happens. At 6 years of age, the child becomes ill with leukemia and dies. People say things like "the Lord works in mysterious ways" when heartbreak like this occurs and sometimes, I think it is more cruel than helpful. I want people to come back to the Catholic Church, not turn them away.

It seems that the omnipotence of God could acknowledge a fierce struggle between good and evil in the middle but eventual victory for Jesus Christ in the end. Can't demons hurt people too, by taking people's children away or possession? Why does everyone blame God when hurtful things happen?

I've been told my views on this aren't correct by other Catholics but I don't understand why. I thought we fought against dark powers from above and that demons hate human beings, especially Catholics, because God chose to become one of us.

We have to remember that when a child dies it is not some kind of punishment from God for something the child or the parents have done. Death is a result of sin, and everyone will die. My brother died when he was 1 and there were certain relatives who said something about how my parents must have done something wrong that God was doing this to them.

If a demon could cause a child to die at a very young age he would just be hurting himself. Children who have not yet reached the age of reason cannot sin, and children who have reached the age of reason are protected in a special way from committing mortal sins. Either way, that child is probably going to heaven, and from there he can pray for the rest of his family. :)

I think the reason people get angry at God after loosing a loved-one is that their loss makes them realize their human nature. When they realize that humans can't control everything, like so many people want to, they get angry. They turn their anger towards God because God is the only one who is all powerful, and they associate their friend's/ child's death with a lack of help from God.
Another reason that could be true is that maybe they are not close to God or do not pray often. They realize that they need to, but do not know how. This could easily result in frustration and turn to anger towards God. When people get angry, there is usually a deeper reason that they do not think about.

This is so insane.  No wonder God told Noah that He was sorry to have created humans.  They are not only stupid but ungrateful.
(06-15-2011, 09:10 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

This is so insane.  No wonder God told Noah that He was sorry to have created humans.  They are not only stupid but ungrateful.

How is that stupid or ungrateful? 

Also, don't you think it's pretty mean to say it's no wonder God was sorry to have created humans...it seems to be a direct response to this post, implying that what I said was stupid and ungrateful, or even that I'm part of the reason God was sorry for creating humans. I hope I'm interpreting wrongly.  :)
(06-15-2011, 11:29 PM)Lydia Grace Wrote:

Also, don't you think it's pretty mean to say it's no wonder God was sorry to have created humans...it seems to be a direct response to this post, implying that what I said was stupid and ungrateful, or even that I'm part of the reason God was sorry for creating humans. I hope I'm interpreting wrongly.  :)

I am not referring to you.  I am referring to those people who have an attitude towards God that is not complete love, complete trust and  complete gratitude. Anything that is not that is unthinkable.
(06-16-2011, 12:26 AM)wulfrano Wrote:

I am not referring to you.  I am referring to those people who have an attitude towards God that is not complete love, complete trust and  complete gratitude. Anything that is not that is unthinkable.

It's is a wonderful thing that you have not fallen to this point of despair. But, we are innately sinful creatures and one should never be surprised to whats depths we can fall. 
(06-16-2011, 12:29 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:

It's is a wonderful thing that you have not fallen to this point of despair. But, we are innately sinful creatures and one should never be surprised to whats depths we can fall. 

You are right, of course, in that we are capable of the worst crimes.  But even then, I see no point in blaming the Blameless, the Pure, the Omnipotent, the Holy One.  We alone are responsible for our evil deeds, be they personal or not.  Job, for example, was the innocent victim paying for the sins of his sons.  Never once did he utter anything contrary to the Goodness of God.
(06-16-2011, 12:43 AM)wulfrano Wrote:

You are right, of course, in that we are capable of the worst crimes.  But even then, I see no point in blaming the Blameless, the Pure, the Omnipotent, the Holy One.  We alone are responsible for our evil deeds, be they personal or not.  Job, for example, was the innocent victim paying for the sins of his sons.  Never once did he utter anything contrary to the Goodness of God.

Job does ask God why he is making him suffer so much and demands an answer.  "This is my final plea: let the Almighty answer me."  It is this demand that draws the ire of God in his rebuke of Job which I posted earlier in this thread.  Job never questioned that God was good, but instead wanted to know what he had done to draw so much misfortune.  However, even this demand was enough to insult God as it certainly questioned the acts of God. 

I would say that if even a pious person like Job was unable to resist questioning the methods of God, there is little hope for the rest of us in resisting this temptation.  This does not make it right, but it is a reflection of our sinful nature. 
(06-16-2011, 01:00 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(06-16-2011, 12:43 AM)wulfrano Wrote:

Job does ask God why he is making him suffer so much and demands an answer.  "This is my final plea: let the Almighty answer me."  It is this demand that draws the ire of God in his rebuke of Job which I posted earlier in this thread.  Job never questioned that God was good, but instead wanted to know what he had done to draw so much misfortune.  However, even this demand was enough to insult God as it certainly questioned the acts of God. 

I would say that if even a pious person like Job was unable to resist questioning the methods of God, there is little hope for the rest of us in resisting this temptation.  This does not make it right, but it is a reflection of our sinful nature. 

Job was in so much pain, both spiritual and physical, that he cried out in anguish the "why" but he did it with respect and love unbounded for the Lord.