The Evils of Gossip
I understand that the stage play is more ambiguous.  The movie certainly had an opinion on Fr. Flynn's guilt or innocence.
I'll have to see the film again.  I took it as a seesaw that indicates something, but swings back with plausible circumstances.

Perhaps since I was expecting something very direct I'm' giving too much ground.
(06-12-2011, 10:18 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I understand that the stage play is more ambiguous.  The movie certainly had an opinion on Fr. Flynn's guilt or innocence.

The movie was directed by the author of the play! But, yes the play lacks the light bulb which is really the clincher. 
(06-12-2011, 10:52 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: I'll have to see the film again.  I took it as a seesaw that indicates something, but swings back with plausible circumstances.

Perhaps since I was expecting something very direct I'm' giving too much ground.

It's a very complicated work which is what makes it such a great work.  Yes, it purposely does mess with you trying to confuse you as to what has happened.  The movie is called "Doubt" after all!  The first time I saw it I too thought the movie didn't really have an opinion on Flynn's innocence and that this was irrelevant.  But, then a colleague pointed out the film really makes no sense if you take this approach. 
This thread started out nicely and with a great message from an analogy.
But sadly, this thread turned out to be a movie review.
Speak of the devil
(06-13-2011, 02:21 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: This thread started out nicely and with a great message from an analogy.
But sadly, this thread turned out to be a movie review.
Speak of the devil

Though the comments make me want to watch the movie again, I also thought the discussion would focus on the vice of gossip, not the movie.
The point of the thread was satisfied in the original post. This is a natural dovetail from the point.
(06-13-2011, 07:21 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: The point of the thread was satisfied in the original post. This is a natural dovetail from the point.

In that case I guess it could have gone either way.  The fact that the OP himself offered a number of  thoughts on the story supports your assertion that the point was satisfied.  In view of the direction the thread has taken, however, it's now more appropriate for the Arts, etc., sub-forum.