Tom Rutkoski, founder of Gospa Missions RIP - Requiem Mass in Butler, PA
Tom Rutkoski, founder of Gospa Missions in Evans City, PA (www.gospa.org) and lover of the TLM, died this past Tuesday.  Tom was an international Catholic speaker and the organization he founded built orphanages in some of the poorest areas of the world.  I knew Tom fairly well and can vouch for the fact that he tried to spread the Catholic Faith far and wide.  I was saddened to hear of his death.

It is my understanding that Tom's last wish was to have a Requiem Mass in the church where he was baptized (St. Paul's in Butler, PA).  He got his wish as the Requiem is scheduled for 10:00 am tomorrow at St. Paul’s in Butler.  This is a historic moment because this will be the first TLM (to my knowledge) celebrated in a Butler parish since VII (there have been some "unapproved" Masses in individual homes, but nothing like this). 

When Summorum Pontificum came out I tried to get a Mass in Butler but was only met with resistance.  To be honest, I never thought I'd see the day when something like this happened in this town!  I could write volumes but this isn't the time or place.

Since information about the Requiem Mass is in the local newspaper, I don't mind posting it on the Internet like this.  Here is the link to the newspaper obituary:  http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/butlereagle/obituary.aspx?n=thomas-rutkoski&pid=151751135

May he rest in peace!
Thanks Pius for the heads up. I did not know him personally but he was a great Catholic man.May he rest in peace. since my interest in the TLM I have been praying almost daily on my rosary for a TLM mass to return to Butler. I regret not being able to go but maybe this is an answer to my prayers. I never dreamed a TLM would be said at St. Pauls anytime soon.
(06-12-2011, 06:41 PM)Rob64 Wrote: I never dreamed a TLM would be said at St. Pauls anytime soon.

I never thought I'd live to see the day something like this happened either, Bob!  I took a half day off work to go to this Mass.  I'm going to go get ready now as it is in an hour and fifteen mins.  This is truly a historic event.  I'll do a follow-up post later.

We must remember the primary focus of this event is on Tom's soul, not the actual Mass itself.  At the same time, however, Tom was very selfless man and I'm sure he would want people from far and wide to experience this historic Requiem Mass.
It sure was a beautiful day for Toms funeral. I totally agree the main focus should be Toms soul.  I was told he went to St Boniface for the TLM but regretfully I never got the chance to meet him. I do have two of his books on my shelf I've been meaning to read that they gave me at the store in Evans city one time. Its funny how prayers get answered sometimes. Although it is a onetime Mass maybe it will spark some interest. I was getting calls this weekend from someone at that parish who knows Tom and knows of my desires for the TLM to return to Butler. Even if it is a onetime Mass I would love to thank Tom personally for this. I would sit in St. Pauls and just wonder what mass was like when my grandfather and mother went there long ago. I wish I could have gone, From what I know of Tom I'll bet it was a full church.