Eight Years Ago: Texas Priest Sacked for Offering Tridentine Mass
This is a sobering reminder that even in this very young millenium, some have faced not only an end of careers, but in fact have been deprived of the right to live out their vocation.

Fr. Zigrang is a priest of the Diocese of Galveston-Houston, under Bishop Joseph Fiorenza. Upon hearing of the weekend's events, the diocese reacted immediately. Unable to reach him for most of the day Monday, the chancery sent word to Fr. Zigrang that the bishop would like to meet with him the following morning, July 1st.

Despite advice from others suggesting he be accompanied by a lawyer, Fr. Zigrang went to see the bishop on his own. He was told that he would be suspended and had until the next day to vacate the St. Andrew's rectory. He was provided a letter signed by Bishop Fiorenza and the diocesan Chancellor, Monsignor Frank Rossi, admonishing him for his actions and informing him that failure to "follow the liturgical directives of the Holy See in the celebration of the Eucharist and the other sacraments ... is a grave disobedience and threatens the unity of the Church within the parish committed to your pastoral care."

http://www.seattlecatholic.com/article_20030704.html

Wasn't this the diocese that just last year let Jews take over for a week or two at a parish while their building was being renovated?  In any event, this is quite a reminder to those of us relatively new to Tradition and the service of the Faith, that there were a lot of casualties before Sumorum Pontificum.  Yet, I hear horror stories like this all the time in alleged uber conservative diocese (one close to me involved a Priest simply doing away with EMHC.  I have it on good authority that he was suspended, banned from any ministry, and essentially left to starve.)
I know he's a bishop and all but what a douchebag.
Sorry, scratch that. I don't give a rats ass if he's a bishop, what a douchebag. If he's going to fire a priest for celebrating the One True Mass then HE, ironically enough, is the schismatic. He has effectively cut himself off from all of the Church's history.

I'm starting to get really, really angry with the NO church. First it was pity, look at those sad fellows they don't know what they're missing. Now it's slowly turning into anger. Gah.
Oh well, I'll leave it in Our Lord's hands, He knows best...I'm going to go get a beer.
We should always be grateful for the struggles and sacrifices of those traditional Catholics who suffered so much in order to show that the Latin Mass and Tradition itself was to be valued, not discarded.
Thanks be to God we good and faithful priests have to go through that anymore.

What ever happened to the priest?
Fr. Zigrang was interviewed in the book Priest, where is thy Mass? He says something about joining the SSPX if I interpret that correctly. They list his address in Dickinson, TX.
(06-12-2011, 10:59 PM)ketchum Wrote: Thanks be to God we good and faithful priests have to go through that anymore.

He is at the local SSPX chapel here in San Antonio, TX.
(06-13-2011, 10:59 AM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 10:59 PM)ketchum Wrote: Thanks be to God we good and faithful priests have to go through that anymore.

He is at the local SSPX chapel here in San Antonio, TX.

Is there directory of al the chapels here in San Antonio?
(06-12-2011, 09:54 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: This is a sobering reminder that even in this very young millenium, some have faced not only an end of careers, but in fact have been deprived of the right to live out their vocation.

................Despite advice from others suggesting he be accompanied by a lawyer, Fr. Zigrang went to see the bishop on his own. He was told that he would be suspended and had until the next day to vacate the St. Andrew's rectory.

Lawyer shmawyer.  That bishop was on the same mission as, IMO, nearly *every* bishop was since the revolution began.

I personally know of many priests, nuns and seminarians who were given the same size ten aka "the boot" for even less than what Fr. Zigrang "is guilty" of - IMO, he was fortunate to have until "the next day" to vacate - - - many of the ones I know of were "vacated" on the spot when this revolution was just starting.

Injustice of the pious, devout and even those who simply questioned their bishop was the rule. IMO, it still is, though now there is but a minute fraction of defector wannabees compared to +40 years ago -  so news regarding such insolence is much less...........but the injustices perpetrated or not.