I interrupted the homily yesterday
I am on holiday at the moment and went to a local parish I would never normally attend. I have not been to the Novus Ordo in over a year and only went to keep peace in the extended family.

When the Preist got up and defended Bishop Morris in his homily, implicitly supported women's ordination and denigrated the Holy Father I could listen no longer. I stood up and said loudly but calmly to the whole congregation, "I can listen to this heresy no longer Father. You are a heretic." I then walked out of the Church with my wife and the two children we had with us. Suffice to say none of the locals joined my little walk-out.

I am not sure if my approach was effective or charitable. Nonetheless, I'd probably do it again.

As I have said to the Priest concerned since in an email, I apologise for interrupting your homily but I do not apologise for calling you a heretic.

Any thoughts (constructive criticism welcomed)....?
Can you give a little more info? What did he say about Benedict XVI that was heretical? And who is this Morris individual? What did your family say?

That's a gutsy move.
I would do that too (I'd be afraid, but I wond do it).

Is it a sin, though?
if it's a sin or not good job
Bishop Morris was in Toowoomba, Australia. He was sacked by the Pope.

The Priest was talking about the importance of listening, and he said the Pope didn't listen. It drew approving laughter from the congregation, which was shameful. It was just plain garden variety modernism from beginning to end.
Even a priest who says things that contradict church teaching deserves some respect, particularly one that is still in good standing with the church (although hopefully for not much longer if he continues to engage in this behavior).  Remember you are only formally a heretic if the church informs you that your thinking is heretical and you continue to engage in this heresy. He has holy orders.  I have heard some horrendous things from the pulpit but have never ever as so much walked out.  The sermon is in many ways the least important part of the Mass.  Are you there to hear the priest talk or to receive Christ? If Christ has to suffer through this shouldn't you keep him company?

Also think what would happen at Mass every time a member of the laity decided what the priest was saying was wrong if they responded by yelling at the Priest?  As Catholics we don't believe in the priesthood of all believers.  The church is a hierarchy and we must respect that hierarchy.  Now when a priest goes astray there are ways to address this, but interrupting the sermon is not one of them. 
I agree that it was heresy, but publically calling the priest a heretic like that was not appropriate. Only God judges His priests. I know that what he said was maddening. But you would have set a better example by leaving quietly.
(06-12-2011, 11:10 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: I agree that it was heresy, but publically calling the priest a heretic like that was not appropriate. Only God judges His priests. I know that what he said was maddening. But you would have set a better example by leaving quietly.

Bishops can also judge priests :)
(06-12-2011, 11:10 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: I agree that it was heresy, but publically calling the priest a heretic like that was not appropriate. Only God judges His priests. I know that what he said was maddening. But you would have set a better example by leaving quietly.

That's misusing the judging argument which so many non-Catholics like to do against us, yes God will be the ultimate judge, but not speaking out against heresy, ESPECIALLY when being perpetrated by a priest, is wrong. If the priest was saying heretical things, we have a duty to speak up lest we sin by omission and I for one applaud the OP for his actions..I doubt I'd have enough balls to do it myself.
(06-12-2011, 11:14 PM)LausTibiChriste Wrote:

That's misusing the judging argument which so many non-Catholics like to do against us, yes God will be the ultimate judge, but not speaking out against heresy, ESPECIALLY when being perpetrated by a priest, is wrong. If the priest was saying heretical things, we have a duty to speak up lest we sin by omission and I for one applaud the OP for his actions..I doubt I'd have enough balls to do it myself.

Would you really like it if ALL Catholics decided to judge whether their priests were heretical every Sunday, and to begin to loudly proclaiming their judgments in the middle of the sermon?  There are ways to address a priest saying reprehensible things during the sermon.  Yelling at the priest in the middle of the sermon is not one of them.