I interrupted the homily yesterday
(06-12-2011, 10:54 PM)mcwhite Wrote: I am on holiday at the moment and went to a local parish I would never normally attend. I have not been to the Novus Ordo in over a year and only went to keep peace in the extended family.

When the Preist got up and defended Bishop Morris in his homily, implicitly supported women's ordination and denigrated the Holy Father I could listen no longer. I stood up and said loudly but calmly to the whole congregation, "I can listen to this heresy no longer Father. You are a heretic." I then walked out of the Church with my wife and the two children we had with us. Suffice to say none of the locals joined my little walk-out.

I am not sure if my approach was effective or charitable. Nonetheless, I'd probably do it again.

As I have said to the Priest concerned since in an email, I apologise for interrupting your homily but I do not apologise for calling you a heretic.

Any thoughts (constructive criticism welcomed)....?
Thats what people did to Nestorius.  Nowadays most Catholics have lost their guts and their faith.  You are a hero, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
(06-12-2011, 11:09 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Even a priest who says things that contradict church teaching deserves some respect,

Catholics don't respect anything that contradicts the True Faith.  Especially someone who is in a position of "authority" and leading souls to hell.
(06-12-2011, 11:10 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: I agree that it was heresy, but publically calling the priest a heretic like that was not appropriate. Only God judges His priests. I know that what he said was maddening. But you would have set a better example by leaving quietly.

Again, tell that to all the saints who stood up in the middle of Bishop Nestorius's homily and called him a heretic before walking out.  "Priests" are not above judgement.  Man, imagine where we'd be if the early Church was as weak as it is now.
(06-12-2011, 11:42 PM)NorthernTrad Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 11:09 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Even a priest who says things that contradict church teaching deserves some respect,

Catholics don't respect anything that contradicts the True Faith.  Especially someone who is in a position of "authority" and leading souls to hell.

A priest deserves respect. Sometimes priests say things in error. People inform them of their error. They correct their error. We move on. 

It's only when a priests refuses to accept that he is in error that church authorities declare them a heretic. 
While I wouldn't encourage everyone to act so boldly in every instance, this situation seems to involve a very public problem to start with. Bishop Morris' story is about as public as it gets. The priest was being very public in backing that awful scene, so to be honest a public reation to the scandal seems very appropriate. Hopefully you made a few people think twice about going along with it all.
(06-12-2011, 11:50 PM)wallflower Wrote: Hopefully you made a few people think twice about going along with it all.

we can do more then hope  :pray:
I don't see anything objectively heretical in the sermon.  Everyone there probably needed a smack, but when setting a dangerous precedent, you really need to cross t's and dot i's.  
(06-12-2011, 11:43 PM)NorthernTrad Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 11:10 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: I agree that it was heresy, but publically calling the priest a heretic like that was not appropriate. Only God judges His priests. I know that what he said was maddening. But you would have set a better example by leaving quietly.

Again, tell that to all the saints who stood up in the middle of Bishop Nestorius's homily and called him a heretic before walking out.  "Priests" are not above judgement.  Man, imagine where we'd be if the early Church was as weak as it is now.
The laity have no authority to declare someone a heretic, whether the person is a priest or not. That is the issue I have here, as I already said.
We had a few people in our parish get up and walk out when a visiting priest starting getting too... "political" in his sermon. Maybe walking out would have been best. .. and then a letter to the bishop, since this was not your parish and pastor anyway.
Calling anyone a heretic nowadays is rarely useful and more often than not leads to laughter and a hardening of hearts.  It's like calling someone a cad or a malefactor or saying a woman was ravished or saying betwixt or gloaming or perchance or hither. Methinks you get the idea.   :tiphat: