I interrupted the homily yesterday
(06-12-2011, 11:58 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: We had a few people in our parish get up and walk out when a visiting priest starting getting too... "political" in his sermon. Maybe walking out would have been best. .. and then a letter to the bishop, since this was not your parish and pastor anyway.

The only time I have ever seen people walk out in protest during the sermon  was when the parish priest urged people to support the Defense of Marriage Act...
Without actually hearing the sermon I will trust that it was objectively heretical.  Its a tough boat to be in.  I don't think you should have but I can't say its sinful that you did.  Some very good points have been made regarding those who don't stand up for the truth are denying it but I have a hard time believing that if a person hadn't said what you did had sinned.

Obviously a different situation, but if we are talking to a protestant or another denomination we don't just jump to "you're a heretic" and walk away.  Now obviously you can't just invite father to a debate right there but I would have just left and then prayed and thought about it a bit.  You could always opt to printing some literature and putting it in the windshields of the cars in the parking lot.  I just think that standing up and calling him a heretic, while you may have been right (that he was a heretic) you weren't prudent.  

Again, a very difficult situation.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(06-13-2011, 12:05 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 11:58 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: We had a few people in our parish get up and walk out when a visiting priest starting getting too... "political" in his sermon. Maybe walking out would have been best. .. and then a letter to the bishop, since this was not your parish and pastor anyway.

The only time I have ever seen people walk out in protest during the sermon  was when the parish priest urged people to support the Defense of Marriage Act...

LOL....I've walked out on a Dioc "TLM" for not following the old calander but insteasd the new 3 year....which is illicit....got some head turns on that....they prolly though I was some libtard....lol....

Din't say anything for the entire fellowship to hear...just a few around us...but that was only because they were within earshot of what I said to UD.
(06-13-2011, 12:08 AM)Scipio_a Wrote:
(06-13-2011, 12:05 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:

LOL....I've walked out on a Dioc "TLM" for not following the old calander but insteasd the new 3 year....which is illicit....got some head turns on that....they prolly though I was some libtard....lol....

WHAT!? How do you even do that! (using the new calendar for the TLM).
In general, I think it is best to approach the priest privately after Mass.  However, the time comes when public protest is necessary.  The situation in this diocese is and was well known, and a man has to do his part to defend the faith of his family.  Roman Catholics have reasonably and laudably been docile in the presence of our clergy for centuries.  But when large numbers of the clergy turn away from the Faith, docility is not a virtue, and witness to the Truth becomes necessary.  Traditionalists surely understand this!
Say Mass....insert NO reading....
(06-13-2011, 12:11 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: Say Mass....insert NO reading....

Why!?

What about the other propers?
(06-12-2011, 11:10 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: I agree that it was heresy, but publically calling the priest a heretic like that was not appropriate. Only God judges His priests. I know that what he said was maddening. But you would have set a better example by leaving quietly.

I guess all the Saints that shouted down heretic priests and Bishops should have kept their peace too? Souls are at stake, it's time someone takes a stand and does whatever they can to lead people out of the new church.

(06-12-2011, 11:55 PM)tradne4163 Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 11:43 PM)NorthernTrad Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 11:10 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: I agree that it was heresy, but publically calling the priest a heretic like that was not appropriate. Only God judges His priests. I know that what he said was maddening. But you would have set a better example by leaving quietly.

Again, tell that to all the saints who stood up in the middle of Bishop Nestorius's homily and called him a heretic before walking out.  "Priests" are not above judgement.  Man, imagine where we'd be if the early Church was as weak as it is now.
The laity have no authority to declare someone a heretic, whether the person is a priest or not. That is the issue I have here, as I already said.

I guess my question for the OP would be if he was acting as though he had the authority to declare someone a heretic, or was he addressing the fact that someone who speaks heresy is (acting like) a heretic. I doubt he was disrespecting the orders of the priest or eternally judging his soul or taking on the authority of the Pope, he was just calling it as he saw it. It's a difference mainly in the frame of mind of the OP but not having the authority officially to declare anyone a heretic does not mean we can't see and react to these things on an unofficial level.
(06-12-2011, 11:21 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 11:20 PM)Heinrich Wrote:
(06-12-2011, 11:09 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Even a priest who says things that contradict church teaching deserves some respect, particularly one that is still in good standing with the church (although hopefully for not much longer if he continues to engage in this behavior).  Remember you are only formally a heretic if the church informs you that your thinking is heretical and you continue to engage in this heresy. He has holy orders.  I have heard some horrendous things from the pulpit but have never ever as so much walked out.  The sermon is in many ways the least important part of the Mass.  Are you there to hear the priest talk or to receive Christ? If Christ has to suffer through this shouldn't you keep him company?

Also think what would happen at Mass every time a member of the laity decided what the priest was saying was wrong if they responded by yelling at the Priest?  As Catholics we don't believe in the priesthood of all believers.  The church is a hierarchy and we must respect that hierarchy.  Now when a priest goes astray there are ways to address this, but interrupting the sermon is not one of them. 

Guy had his kids there. Kinda a catch 22, really.

As a good nun once told me, there is nothing wrong with putting cotton balls into your ears and saying the rosary during the sermon. 

Put cotton in his kids' ears too?