I interrupted the homily yesterday
(06-12-2011, 11:02 PM)mcwhite Wrote: Bishop Morris was in Toowoomba, Australia. He was sacked by the Pope.

The Priest was talking about the importance of listening, and he said the Pope didn't listen. It drew approving laughter from the congregation, which was shameful. It was just plain garden variety modernism from beginning to end.

I wonder if the Priest quipped after you walked out, "I guess he didn't want to listen either."
One of the many, many reasons I don't attend the NO.
What if the priest had been talking about how the Pope John Paul II didn't listen to Archbishop Lefebvre and began viciously attacking Pope for allowing altar girls? 
(06-13-2011, 01:27 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: What if the priest had been talking about how the Pope John Paul II didn't listen to Archbishop Lefebvre and began viciously attacking Pope for allowing altar girls? 
A priest like the one you just mentioned, would not celebrate the NO mass. Period.
(06-12-2011, 10:54 PM)mcwhite Wrote: I am on holiday at the moment and went to a local parish I would never normally attend. I have not been to the Novus Ordo in over a year and only went to keep peace in the extended family.

When the Preist got up and defended Bishop Morris in his homily, implicitly supported women's ordination and denigrated the Holy Father I could listen no longer. I stood up and said loudly but calmly to the whole congregation, "I can listen to this heresy no longer Father. You are a heretic." I then walked out of the Church with my wife and the two children we had with us. Suffice to say none of the locals joined my little walk-out.

I am not sure if my approach was effective or charitable. Nonetheless, I'd probably do it again.

As I have said to the Priest concerned since in an email, I apologise for interrupting your homily but I do not apologise for calling you a heretic.

Any thoughts (constructive criticism welcomed)....?

Good goin mcwhite.  You seem to have Cardinal George Pell on your side.
http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/201...orris.html
Even though I have never celebrated  an NO before, and never will, nor have I ever espoused such teachings, as a Priest I feel that the appropriate thing to have done would have been to quietly leave without saying anything, and perhaps privately questioning Father on it afterward.  Even as a Priest, I have suffered through many terrible sermons (in TLMs) only to receive Jesus in the  Eucharist.

But all to you if you felt that walking out was the way to go.

God Bless.
My ma would always just walk out and then return after the sermon if the padre started going sideways.  Also if he had lay people or nuns give the sermon.  Then, the next time she was at Mass she'd have photocopies of information handy and give it to the priest after Mass and just explain in about a sentence what the error was, and the information to back it up.
(06-13-2011, 01:50 AM)InNomineDomini Wrote: Even though I have never celebrated  an NO before, and never will, nor have I ever espoused such teachings, as a Priest I feel that the appropriate thing to have done would have been to quietly leave without saying anything, and perhaps privately questioning Father on it afterward.  Even as a Priest, I have suffered through many terrible sermons (in TLMs) only to receive Jesus in the  Eucharist.

But all to you if you felt that walking out was the way to go.

God Bless.

Thank you Father for your insights. I was curious what your thoughts on this would be.

I haven't read through the thread, but I have to applaud you.... That took cojones!
Thanks all. Interesting discussion. I'll definitely talk to my confessor about it as it best not to be one's own judge in these matters.

One other humorous aside to the whole scenario is that my two year old daughter now pronounces her-e-tic with great diction (she listened to her mother and I discussing the episode in the car).

The primary reason I interrupted was the enthusiasm with which the congregation responded to preist's criticism of the Church. He was also encouraging people to sign a petition to have Bishop Morris reinstated.

Country parish, liberal priest, no one in the congregation below 50 except the holiday family; it was just one of those, 'wake up guys, look at what liberalism has done to us..." moments.