Episcopal and N.O. - what's the difference?
I was with my old quartet at an Episcopal wedding last week and I was really, really surprised at the service.  It has been about 6 or 7 years since I've been to the NO, definitely a long time, and I was thinking that the Episcopal service seemed exactly like the NO.  There were a few differences, but not that many (as far as I could tell).  For instance, after the Our Father, they continued with "for thine...", and also, right before "communion" but after the Agnus Dei they prayed this little "Halleluia, cuz God is really cool, Halleluia" or something like that...But other than these, and maybe a few other small things, I was very surprised at the similarities.

So, aside from the obvious things (sacramental grace, real presence), what's the difference between the two services?  And, as they are so similar, I just have to ask, which one came first?
(06-13-2011, 02:18 AM)Cassius_Longinus Wrote: So, aside from the obvious things (sacramental grace, real presence), what's the difference between the two services?  And, as they are so similar, I just have to ask, which one came first?

There isn't just one Episcopal service. The Church of England came out with the Alternate Service Book in 1980, which has several services in it, one of which is basically a copycat product of the Novus Ordo. The current version of that is found in a book called Common Worship.

In practice, Common Worship is basically the Anglicans' Novus Ordo and has mostly phased out the old Book of Common Prayer. The BCP is (in very relative terms here) their counterpart to the Catholic Tridentine Missal*. If you had attended a BCP service, it would be very different from both the Novus Ordo and the Tridentine Mass. The BCP is what the Anglicans have been using for most of its history. It has many unique parts and a structure that's arranged differently than any of the Roman forms, like reciting the Ten Commandments in place of the Kyrie, or singing the Gloria at the end. Finally, some very old-fashioned Episcopal churches might have Morning Prayer in place of the Eucharist, having the Eucharist only once a month or something.

*Not counting Anglo-Catholic things like the Anglican Missal or whatever.
Thanks, HK.  Very informative.