Saint Anthony Relic Stolen!
There maybe a dark side to this theft not yet explored. There are many "Catholic" cults out there that practice black magic. Voodoo and other such faiths do incorporate some major saints into their beliefs. It could be that a very twisted individual belonging to one of these cults took the relic in order to use it for some dark purpose.
(06-14-2011, 09:11 PM)LydiaW Wrote: There maybe a dark side to this theft not yet explored. There are many "Catholic" cults out there that practice black magic. Voodoo and other such faiths do incorporate some major saints into their beliefs. It could be that a very twisted individual belonging to one of these cults took the relic in order to use it for some dark purpose.

You're right.

I feel bad for the folks who stole it.  Saint Anthony will curse them for it.

Do you get excommunicated for something like that?  or is there a worse like Anathema?
I saw this earlier today and offered a prayer for the return of this relic.  It's atrocious that someone would do something like this.  My first thought was that the reliquary case would be destroyed to sell the silver and gold.  :(
oooooh. Creepy.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(06-14-2011, 09:14 PM)ketchum Wrote:
(06-14-2011, 09:11 PM)LydiaW Wrote: There maybe a dark side to this theft not yet explored. There are many "Catholic" cults out there that practice black magic. Voodoo and other such faiths do incorporate some major saints into their beliefs. It could be that a very twisted individual belonging to one of these cults took the relic in order to use it for some dark purpose.

You're right.

he will?
(06-15-2011, 03:02 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(06-14-2011, 09:14 PM)ketchum Wrote:

You're right.

he will?

Why wouldn't he?  Wouldn't you be angry if someone took a part of your body for evil reasons?  I'm sure good is!
(06-14-2011, 05:09 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Yeah, I'll say...  irony abounds here, kingtheoden.  Who on earth would get it into their head that it's a good idea to steal a relic? I mean a fat lot of good it'll do you to steal a relic, ya know??!?!  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: The thief must be an idiot or perhaps unstable. Not in their right mind, in any event. What good is a stolen relic? Perhaps this is some kind of a sick joke.

The trafficking of relics - which often included robbery and plain forgery - was quite common in the Middle Ages.
(06-15-2011, 11:22 AM)ketchum Wrote:
(06-14-2011, 09:14 PM)ketchum Wrote: I feel bad for the folks who stole it.  Saint Anthony will curse them for it.

he will?

Why wouldn't he?  Wouldn't you be angry if someone took a part of your body for evil reasons?  I'm sure good is!

Can saints be angry in heaven? Do we know whether saints can curse people from heaven? We don't know whether it was stolen for evil or not. Maybe the person was misguided or mentally imbalanced. It just strikes me as excessively vengeful. I mean, if I stole relics of St Francis of Assisi which are three blocks away from me right now, I could say that I would incur God's discipline/wrath but I have a hard time picturing St Francis cursing me from heaven.
(06-15-2011, 11:32 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(06-15-2011, 11:22 AM)ketchum Wrote:
(06-14-2011, 09:14 PM)ketchum Wrote: I feel bad for the folks who stole it.  Saint Anthony will curse them for it.

he will?

Can saints be angry in heaven? Do we know whether saints can curse people from heaven? We don't know whether it was stolen for evil or not. Maybe the person was misguided or mentally imbalanced. It just strikes me as excessively vengeful. I mean, if I stole relics of St Francis of Assisi which are three blocks away from me right now, I could say that I would incur God's discipline/wrath but I have a hard time picturing St Francis cursing me from heaven.

If saints can bless why not justly punish?  And I'm not talking about someone who is mentally unstable I'm talking about someone who wishes to use the relic of a saint for evil purposes
(06-15-2011, 12:10 PM)ketchum Wrote: If saints can bless why not justly punish? 

Source? I've never heard this said, that's all.