Augustine, Galileo and natural science
(06-26-2011, 03:00 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-26-2011, 02:35 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote:
(06-19-2011, 11:58 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Galileo in many ways got what he deserved.  Most of the people pushing the Heliocentric view of the universe did so as a way to discredit scripture and to undermine the church.  Nonetheless, Pope Urban VIII asked Galileo to privately a compose a book dealing with the controversy, Galileo rather than politely fulfilling his request wrote a caustic and mocking book that depicted Urban VIII as a simpleton and then published the book in Italian for the public to see.  The fact that he published in Italian was a big deal as it was seen as an attempt to undermine the authority of the Pope by going directly to the people.

That's what got Galileo in hot water.  Not his scientific views, but that he was a disrespectful ass toward the Holy Father. Instead of sharing his scientific views on the universe privately with the Pope, as the Pope had requested, Galileo decided to be mocking and belligerent. 

In short, if Galileo could have posted on these forums he would have banned for belligerency and then complained that he was persecuted for his views.

Thank you for that simple explanation. I am woefully uninformed on this issue, but trusted in people like you who have said there was much more to the story. However, you are the first person to explain it very clearly and briefly. Would you happen to have a link to a simple explanation for this? My soon to be 4th grader was in a situation where his teacher told the class, after watching a film, that the Roman Catholic Church was the bad guy in this saga. I would like to read it to him as he did defend his Faith, but unfortunately, I was not able to give him what he was really after. Except to say that the story has been twisted. It sufficed for the moment, but he needs more.

Also keep in mind that the idea that the earth is stationary is true according to modern science.

Movement is only relative. To us and many models scientists use, the earth is stationary while all else moves about. There is no basis for using a perspective besides our own. Physics works regardless of the perspective. For those who say the earth moves, one could say "demonstrate it". We have all the evidence in the world that the earth does not move. All else moves. Modern scientific theories prove this. We do not experience the effects of movement, but we experience the effects of bodies moving around us.

Please quote scientists living today who say that the Earth is stationary and that the sun and planets revolve around the Earth.  Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Augustine, Galileo and natural science - by wulfrano - 06-26-2011, 04:21 PM