Augustine, Galileo and natural science
(06-26-2011, 04:58 PM)timoose Wrote: This is just an observation from a guy that used "applied science" all of his life as a mfg. tool engineer. Where folks go wrong is they think science is easily accessible and some sort of "big theory" can be discovered and we should all accept it as fact. Science is continously being upgraded. Our understanding of the laws behind our observations is mostly incomplete. Sir Issac Newton was replaced by Einstein, that's classical mechanics with relativity. Today quantam physics is doing the same to Einstein, who incidentally fought this notion till his death. . But  wait, we still use Newtonian physics, though it's superceded. How can that be ? It is because "science" is a just a place holder for the current state of our imperfect knowledge of the world the Almighty has created. Grand theories aside sometimes we stumble on great laws and the inverse square law is one of these. It has application in grvitation, electrostatics, light, and other electro-magnetic forces. What it does is show us behind things are elegant little gems of science. What we humans do is make rube goldberg rules with apppendages sticking out at any angle making for a very inelegant hodge podge of our vaunted smarts. I've realized it's just like everything else in God's world he respects the small and the humble because that is how He likes it, including laws of science. When I get to heaven, I'm going to corner one of the Angels that are in charge of a big galaxy like the Crab Nebulae, and jaw bone him till I understand the underlying principles God has in this magnificent Creation, till then I'll be happy with force equals mass times acceleration.

tim

I agree with you in some parts, disagree in others.

I don't like the implication (intentional or not) that science really doesn't tell us very much. What we know about the world today compared to 100, 200, 500 and 2,000 years ago is enormous. We're 400 years into physics and while we haven't even begun to tap into a real knowledge of the world, we know a helluva lot more than we did when Sir Isaac was around.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Augustine, Galileo and natural science - by Alabama Trad - 06-26-2011, 08:05 PM