Augustine, Galileo and natural science
(11-22-2011, 10:58 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: St. Robert vigorously supported the heliocentric view, but he also was not an absolutist about it--the inerrancy of Scripture was not absolutely at stake in his opinion. He accounted for the possibility that the earth moved around the sun and gave advice on how to proceed if that were proven to be the case. However, he didn't think it had been proven and saw both scientific evidence and testimony of Scripture as demonstrating the opposite. His whole letter on the subject is here:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1615b...letter.asp

Well, you contradict yourself. The link you posted shows that Bellarmine doubted the heliocentric theory. Read this to the end:

"Third. I say that if there were a true demonstration that the sun was in the center of the universe and the earth in the third sphere, and that the sun did not travel around the earth but the earth circled the sun, then it would be necessary to proceed with great caution in explaining the passages of Scripture which seemed contrary, and we would rather have to say that we did not understand them than to say that something was false which has been demonstrated. But I do not believe that there is any such demonstration; none has been shown to me."

In the end, he sides with Solomon and his wisdom:

"I believe that the first demonstration might exist, but I have grave doubts about the second, and in a case of doubt, one may not depart from the Scriptures as explained by the holy Fathers. I add that the words ' the sun also riseth and the sun goeth down, and hasteneth to the place where he ariseth, etc.' were those of Solomon, who not only spoke by divine inspiration but was a man wise above all others and most learned in human sciences and in the knowledge of all created things, and his wisdom was from God."

Messages In This Thread
Re: Augustine, Galileo and natural science - by steph_86 - 11-23-2011, 12:58 AM