Variations in SSPX and diocesan Mass
This passed Sunday I attended a Mass offered at an SSPX priory for the first time. I noticed a few differences between this Mass and the one I usually attend (diocesan) and was wondering if any arm chair liturgists on the forum could shed some light on the variations. It's probably worth mentioning that the diocese offers a Solemn Mass while the SSPX offers a Sung Mass.

1. We stand for the entirety of the Gloria at my usual Mass but at the SSPX the congregation sat as soon as the priest left the altar. Is this usually done?

2. After the consecration the altar boys recited the confiteor for a second time and the priest gave them absolution. I've never seen this practice before.

3. At the diocesan Mass the entire congregation recites the "domine, non sum dignus" while at the SSPX chapel only the priest recited this prayer.

:)
Your diocese offers a Solemn Mass?  Awesome.  It's pretty rare there are 3 diocesan clerics who know how to say the TLM and do so together regularly.
(06-21-2011, 10:12 AM)cgraye Wrote: Your diocese offers a Solemn Mass?  Awesome.  It's pretty rare there are 3 diocesan clerics who know how to say the TLM and do so together regularly.

It's pretty cool. Quite often a visiting priest from a Novus Ordo parish helps out as well.
(06-21-2011, 09:55 AM)Aragon Wrote: 1. We stand for the entirety of the Gloria at my usual Mass but at the SSPX the congregation sat as soon as the priest left the altar. Is this usually done?
In my experience with diocesan Masses, the people sit when the priest sits even if the Gloria, etc. is still being sung. I don't think there's a rubric which addresses the lay congregation so it's probably just a matter of custom.

Quote:2. After the consecration the altar boys recited the confiteor for a second time and the priest gave them absolution. I've never seen this practice before.
The second confiteor was ommitted from the 1962 Missal, but a lot of places still say it. Again, in my experience at diocesan Masses in two different states, the second confitior is also still used.

Quote:3. At the diocesan Mass the entire congregation recites the "domine, non sum dignus" while at the SSPX chapel only the priest recited this prayer.

:)

I've seen it both ways at diocesan Masses, so that's all I can really say :)

(06-21-2011, 09:55 AM)Aragon Wrote: 3. At the diocesan Mass the entire congregation recites the "domine, non sum dignus" while at the SSPX chapel only the priest recited this prayer.

This is the reverse of my experience.  The SSPX have a Dialogue Mass (it's a school Mass) so the entire congregation does the "non sum dignus".  The diocesan TLM I attend - usually a Missa cantata, but sometimes a Low Mass - has it said by the priest alone.
(06-21-2011, 09:55 AM)Aragon Wrote: 3. At the diocesan Mass the entire congregation recites the "domine, non sum dignus" while at the SSPX chapel only the priest recited this prayer.

Oh man. That reminds me... Today I went to a NO Mass to see what the new translation is like. It's almost impossible for me now to resist the urge to recite this part three times in Latin; yet even as I recited it in English, I noticed that the whole congregation was still using the old translation for this response. Stubborn elderly people....
The new translation does not go into effect until Advent.
(06-21-2011, 09:55 AM)Aragon Wrote: 1. We stand for the entirety of the Gloria at my usual Mass but at the SSPX the congregation sat as soon as the priest left the altar. Is this usually done?
If you follow choir rubrics (i.e. clerics attending Mass in choir, vested in surplice), then the congregation should stand while they sing the Gloria. The principle is that one should stand while singing. However, as SaintSebastian pointed out, since there are no official rubrics for the congregation, they typically just do what the priest does and sit when he sits.

(06-21-2011, 09:55 AM)Aragon Wrote: 2. After the consecration the altar boys recited the confiteor for a second time and the priest gave them absolution. I've never seen this practice before.
A matter of custom. Officially, the second Confiteor is not part of the 1962 Missal, but its debatable whether this means it's forbidden. So priests include it as a matter of preference or custom.

Another matter of custom. This is related to the whole "dialogue Mass" question and how much it is customary for the congregation to recite.
(06-21-2011, 09:55 AM)Aragon Wrote: 2. After the consecration the altar boys recited the confiteor for a second time and the priest gave them absolution. I've never seen this practice before.

This is also done at the FSSP, OLF Chapel I attend..... They also say the Leonine Prayers at the end of Low Mass, while the Diocesan Low Mass I use to attend did not.
(06-21-2011, 10:51 AM)Raskolnikov Wrote:

Oh man. That reminds me... Today I went to a NO Mass to see what the new translation is like. It's almost impossible for me now to resist the urge to recite this part three times in Latin; yet even as I recited it in English, I noticed that the whole congregation was still using the old translation for this response. Stubborn elderly people....

I opine that you may have some elderly people at the services you attend, but your assumption that it is primarily the elderly who are stubborn irritates me, an elderly man!  I have been attending Mass in Latin whenever possible since 1964 when the NO became routine at military chapels.  You owe an apology to all the elderly who do care!