Dealing with lack of sleep
Does anyone here find it difficult to get into regular sleeping patterns? It's 4:30am here and I'm not tired at all despite the fact I've been up since 8am, met with a priest, met with a friend, worked for five hours, and got home at 9pm.

How do you establish good sleeping habits?
Yep, I'm defs in the same boat!! It's 2.30 am here... Sleep (my family)    Keyboard Warrior (me)

I was having a conversation about this with my friend, and a strategy she has used to correct poor sleeping habits is to go to sleep at 8pm for two weeks. Then the next week, 9pm, and the week after that, 10pm. So, in the first few weeks your body adjusts to basically lying in bed and trying to get to sleep and then it should get easier after that.

Also, limiting technology, computer use & tv watching , & turning them off at 8pm helps.
More drinking and eating!
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
High light exposure after 9 pm is telling your body it is morning.  Maybe find something to do between 9-10 that doesn't involve the TV or computer screen.  Get up at the same time every day.  Don't drink caffeine after lunchtime, including chocolate.  Make it cool/cold in the house also at bed time.
get a hold of noam chomskys manufacturing consent.

sip
when u cant sleep pu that in
u will be out in a coma within sminutes
sip
worked me everytime during university when id go days not sleeping. i have even used it against the bitchy ex wife. sadly the hope was to knock her out but it ended doin it to me
sip
that shit needs to be controled and prescribed
(06-29-2011, 02:21 PM)Aragon Wrote: Does anyone here find it difficult to get into regular sleeping patterns? It's 4:30am here and I'm not tired at all despite the fact I've been up since 8am, met with a priest, met with a friend, worked for five hours, and got home at 9pm.

I have a problem with regular patterns, but I have no problem sleeping.

I work third shift and sleep during the day. On the weekend, I switch to a day schedule and sleep at night, but I work Monday night. I can manage that without issues.

8am is pretty late to be getting up. That may be one of the problems.
One thing that is difficult to implement but makes bedtime much easier once you do, is to have a wind down routine.

In the evenings try to follow a routine like dinner, walk, rosary, reading, a show, climbing in bed, more reading for half an hour, then sleep.

That's just an example, but the more regulated and habitual your routine is at night, the more your body gets the signal that it's winding down and ready for the transition from awake to asleep.

The above posts saying it's better to lose the screens is probably better advice but as an example, DH and I have one show we put on before bed and I always fall asleep during it. So now no matter what kind of evening we've had, that show triggers my mind and cues it for sleep. Variety logic puzzles have the same effect. But it's based on habit. I habitually do those things at night so that my body clock gets the hint. You'll find many articles about the improtance of a "bedtime routine" directed at parents for their children, but we tend to forget that as adults we have the same needs. We don't suddenly outgrow the need for the wind down and it's still of great importance to good sleeping habits. MAybe googling a few of those articles and translating the child talk to the adult world would help.

http://www.sleep-aid-tips.com/sleep-aid-...giene.html

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinf...gwell.aspx

(06-29-2011, 02:21 PM)Aragon Wrote: Does anyone here find it difficult to get into regular sleeping patterns? It's 4:30am here and I'm not tired at all despite the fact I've been up since 8am, met with a priest, met with a friend, worked for five hours, and got home at 9pm.

Obviously you need to drink more alcohol.
(06-29-2011, 11:03 PM)wallflower Wrote: One thing that is difficult to implement but makes bedtime much easier once you do, is to have a wind down routine.

In the evenings try to follow a routine like dinner, walk, rosary, reading, a show, climbing in bed, more reading for half an hour, then sleep.

It is a bad idea to do anything in bed besides sleep.

Reading, etc may make the mind ready to do something in bed instead of sleeping.

And sleeping is a basic function of the body. Understanding the basic biological patterns associated with it may help as well.

For example, it is normal to wake up after a few hours. So if one wakes up, just wait to go back to sleep. It is an ingrained human response to get up for a while halfway through sleeping.

Avoiding light from LCD screens (phones, monitors, TV, etc) helps one not have trouble falling asleep.

(06-30-2011, 02:40 AM)Raskolnikov Wrote:

Obviously you need to drink more alcohol.

I'm sure you'll be able to help me rectify that situation.