Padre Pio, Humanae Vitae, and Vatican II
SAINT PADRE PIO—On Humanae vitae & Vatican II
Your Holiness,
I unite myself with my brothers and present at your feet my affectionate respect, all my devotion to your august person in an act of faith, love and obedience to the dignity of Him whom your are representing on this earth. The Capuchin Order has always been the first in the first line of love, fidelity, obedience and devotion to the Holy See; I pray to God that it may remain thus and continue its tradition of religious seriousness and austerity, evangelical poverty and faithful observance of the Rule and Constitution, certainly renewing itself in the vitality and in the inner spirit, according to the guides of the Second Vatican Council, in order to be always ready to attend to the necessities of Mother Church under the rule of your Holiness.
I know that your heart is suffering much these days in the interest of the Church, for the peace of the world, but above all, for the lack of obedience of some, even Catholics, to the teachings that you, assisted by the Holy Spirit and in the name of God, are giving us. I offer you my prayers and daily sufferings as a small but sincere contribution on the part of the least of your sons in order that God may give you comfort with His grace to follow the straight and painful way in the defense of eternal truth, which never changes with the passing of years. Also, in the name of my spiritual children and the Prayer Groups, I thank you for your clear and decisive words that you especially pronounced in the last encyclical, Humanae vitae; and I reaffirm my faith, my unconditional obedience to your illuminated directions.
May God grant victory to the truth, peace to his Church, tranquility to the world, health and prosperity to your Holiness so that, once these fleeting doubts are dissipated, the Kingdom of God will triumph in all hearts, guided by your apostolic work as Supreme Pontiff of all Christianity.
Prostrate at your feet, I pray you to bless me in the company of my brothers in religion, my spiritual children, the Prayer Groups, my sick ones and also bless all our good endeavors which we are trying to fulfill under your protection in the name of Jesus.
Humbly yours,
P. Pio, Capuchin

Do you have the source for this or when it was written?
http://www.cantius.org/Padre-Pio.htm#SAI...ADRE%20PIO

I certainly hope it wouldn't be a forged letter, but you never know.
I found from a few sources that it was written at the very end of his life In september 1968.

... written to Pope Paul VI a  month before Padre Pio died (September 23, 1968). http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/Ron_Obrien.htm

.. On September 12, 1968, just a few days before his death, Padre Pio wrote to Pope Paul VI. It is a humble letter of filial love and submission to a heart-broken Pontiff. Padre Pio began his letter: "I unite myself... http://www.dailycatholic.org/issue/archi...14atop.htm

[This letter was dated September 12, 1968, San Giovanni Rotondo. On September 23, 1968, Padre Pio of Pietrelcina, who had borne the wounds of Christ for fifty years, blessed his tomb, sacrificed his final High Mass, then died in the flesh, "to be able to do even greater things from Heaven."]

http://www.cantius.org/Padre-Pio.htm#SAI...ADRE%20PIO
Like was done in the 1970s, when the San Giovanni in Rotondo Capuchins promoted Padre Pio as an advocate of the Liturgical Revolution and the Novus Ordo Missae, despite the clear evidence he was opposed to the use of the vernacular, this letter might be a fraud.

I think indeed it is written by the - now very Modernist - Capuchins of San Giovanni in Rotondo, or even the Roman superiors in the O.M.Cap., to make it look like Padre Pio supported the doctrinal revolution and the liturgical changes.

This is all untrue of course, though it has been repeated over and over.

Don't forget, that because of the fact that one of Padre Pio's spiritual children, Kara Tangari, became one of the closest female collaborators of Archbishop Lefebvre - and remained thus after 30th June 1988 - some launched a vile calumny against Abp. Lefebvre, saying, that Padre Pio allegedly condemned Lefebvre back in 1967, when Lefebvre went to Padre Pio to receive his blessing. Padre Pio allegedly said the Abp. was a "schismatic" and would "split the Church". All nonsense of course and refuted by those present at the 2-minute-lasting meeting of P.P. with Abp. L., at which P. P. , instead of blessing the Abp as Lefebvre had asked, said: "No, no, you should bless me, Archbishop!"

As to this letter, I think it is falsely translated into the English language. I believe it to have been written to Paul VI in order to support him for Humanae Vitae, but, as it was written 2 weeks before his death, I think it was written by a co-friar or collaborator of Padre Pio, instead of by himself.

The extremely laudible words the author of the letter above apparently used in order to describe the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965), are directly in contradiction to the observations and experiences Antonio Cardinal Bacci made, when he visited Padre Pio in 1964/1965. Bacci is his 'Mémoirs' recalls, that Padre Pio said: "Basta col COncilio!" "Enough of that council."

That Padre Pio refused to use the vernacular since 1965 and demanded permission to use the Latin for the Tridentine Mass (which was only replaced by the New Mass in 1969, a year after Padre Pio died), clearly illustrates, that the "illuminations" of the changes Padre Pio did not support, like this letter is supposed to prove.

Padre Pio was weak at the time this letter was written, so I think it was written by an assistant.

That it is used by EWTN and other anti-traditional sources (even the now virtually sedevacantist dailycatholic.org, in 1999 was an adorer of John Paul II "the Great") , says all to me.

It was a letter probably meant to support Paul VI for Humanae Vitae, in a time when every other teaching was attacked, yet in the Italy of that time Humanae Vitae still seemed a "constant" thing producing the traditional position of the Popes since the 19th century on anticonception. Padre Pio possibly ordered an assistant to write this letter, and then signed it.

This does not prove Padre Pio HIMSELF "praised" Vatican II. Not at all.

They try to spread these lies over and over again: as recently as 2002 the San Giovanni Capuchins, who have become fairly "progressive", after the saint's death, told the press, Padre Pio "contrary to the view of Lefebvrists" supposedly supported the Novus Ordo Missae. This of course is nothing more than a lie, as Padre Pio died ONE YEAR BEFORE (September, 1968)  the Novus Ordo Missae was even promulgated (December, 1969)! That shows how they want to abuse Padre Pio, whom they even forced in 1968 to celebrate the Mass (the Tridentine Mass of course, as Padre Pio did not want changes) on a new "people's altar" below the altarsteps. This occurred once, was taped, photographed, and shown later on as "evidence" that "Pio praised the Novus Ordo". A fraud of course, as Padre Pio afterwards resumed to use the truly Roman Catholic high altar again. 

THE LIE

Available in the United States is a book entitled Padre Pio Gleanings by Pascal Catanco, which has been translated into English. On pages 58 and 59 one reads the following passage:

Quote:

Among the many, many people who came to see Padre Pio was Archbishop Lefebvre who, later clinging stubbornly to Catholic Tradition, as he called it, questioned the authority of Vatican II and was removed from office by Pope Paul VI.

The archbishop had a meeting with Padre Pio in the presence of Professor Bruno Rabajotti. This witness reported that at a particular moment Padre Pio looked at Lefebvre very sternly and said: 'Never cause discord among your brothers and always practise the rule of obedience; above all when it seems to you that the errors of those in authority are all the more serious. There is no other road than that of obedience, especially FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE MADE THIS VOW.'

Padre Pio could give this advice because he had had to obey some rather questionable orders himself. His attitude was to put this in God's hands because He would find a way for truth to triumph. It seems Archbishop Lefebvre did not see things in quite the same way even if he did respond to Padre Pio with: 'I will remember that, Father.' Padre Pio looked at him intensely and, seeing what would soon happen, said: 'No! You will forget it! You will tear apart the community of faithful, oppose the will of your superiors and even go against the orders of the pope himself and this will happen quite soon. You will forget the promise you made here today, and the whole Church will be hurt by you. Don't set yourself up as a judge. Don't take powers that do not belong to you and do not consider yourself as the voice of God's People, as God already speaks to them. Do not sow discord and dissension. However, I know this is what you will do!'

Unfortunately, the truth of Padre Pio's prophecy is obvious to everyone.

THE TRUTH
[Image: PadrePio_with_AB.jpg]

Archbishop Lefevbvre and Padre Pio in the corridor.

On August 8, 1990, Archbishop Lefebvre wrote a personal letter to a Society priest in France who had written to ask him about the meeting with Padre Pio. Here are extracts from the letter:

For several years now this slander, a fabrication from start to finish, has been circulating in Italy. I have already refuted it, but lies die hard; there is not one word of truth in the page of that magazine you photocopied for me.

The meeting which took place after Easter in 1967 lasted two minutes. I was accompanied by Fr. Barbara and a Holy Ghost Brother, Brother Felin. I met Padre Pio in a corridor, on his way to the confessional, being helped by two Capuchins.

I told him in a few words the purpose of my visit:  for him to bless the Congregation of the Holy Ghost which was due to hold an extraordinary General my Chapter meeting, like all religious societies, under the heading of aggiornamento (up-dating), meeting which I was afraid would lead to trouble...

[Image: padrepio_kissing_abs_ring.jpg]

Padre Pio kissing Archbishop Lefebvre's ring.

Then Padre Pio cried out. 'Me, bless an archbishop, no, no, it is you who should be blessing me!'  And he bowed, to receive the blessing. I blessed him, he kissed my ring and continued on his way to the confessional... That was the whole of the meeting, no more, no less. To invent such an account as you sent me the copy of calls for a satanic imagination and mendacity. The author is a son of the Father of Lies
Thank you for giving me the chance to tell once more the plain truth.
Most cordially yours in Christo et Maria,
+Marcel Lefebvre
Thank you Mark and HMIS!  I don't believe the original letter.  It's remarkable how these "letters" magically appear to support Vat II, the message of Fatima having already been fulfilled, etc. when the ones supposedly having written them can no longer refute them.  I believe similar was done to Cardinal Ovitinni (sp?) whose secretary/assistant took advantage of his blindness to doctor a letter stating that the Cardinal had later recanted his rebuke of Vat. II.  "The Father of lies" sums it up nicely.