Catholic communities
(07-09-2011, 01:07 AM)romanaround Wrote:
(07-02-2011, 02:13 AM)Aragon Wrote: There seem to be a few Catholic communities in America. There's St. Mary's in Kansas, Ave Maria and I recently came across this: http://www.staroftheseavillage.com/

Does anyone have any experience with these townships? Good idea or bad idea?

The Society of St. John was planning to start such a community a while back, but they had other issues...

With regard to Tom Monaghan, anyone know if he's still trying to build that Catholic city, or has it been put on hold for now?

He already built it, we were discussing that above.
Ave Maria is Tom Monaghan's project.
(07-08-2011, 11:24 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(07-08-2011, 01:09 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: HK would have to confirm or deny this, but from what I read Ave Maria ran into trouble, because non Catholics started moving into the town and refused to abide by Catholic morality. One good example was the court case on overturning the ban on selling prono magazines in convience stores in the town. Best one could do is make sure the convience store is owned by a Catholic who will ban the material on their own accord.

I don't really know anything about that. I was only around for half a year, at that was during the town's first year in business.

Obviously, you can't legally allow only Catholics to buy real estate in any given area in the U.S. The best you can do, really, is market that town to faithful Catholics and hope as many of them as possible move in. I suspect that since orthodox Catholics are poorer than usual, and the real estate in Ave Maria was probably more expensive than usual, and the cost of the university was astronomical (in my opinion), then over time you might have more rich secular yuppies or old retired folks moving in than Catholics who are really interested in the idea of Ave Maria.

That is what I was trying to get across in my various posts. Master planning a Catholic utopia just will not work. It requires building some central point that people want to naturally congregate around. That does not have to be done out in the middle of nowhere. Ave Maria may work out in the long term, but as HK says the place is to expensive for most anybody. It even seems to be to expensive to be a college town. Monaghan would of been better off, building his vision on the undeveloped edge of an existing city.
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:Ave Maria is Tom Monaghan's project.

Yeah, all I know is that he ran into certain problems and all I've seen were blue prints and pictures of the town and that ugly glass cathedral. I was wondering specifically whether it was just put on hold or the whole thing was called off and he sold the piece of land...
(07-09-2011, 01:22 AM)romanaround Wrote: Yeah, all I know is that he ran into certain problems and all I've seen were blue prints and pictures of the town and that ugly glass cathedral. I was wondering specifically whether it was just put on hold or the whole thing was called off and he sold the piece of land...

Not at all. It exists. The chapel isn't even made out of glass, as the original sketches had it. It doesn't look too bad in person. The university buildings are rather ugly and uninspired, though.

I liked how the shops in the town square have houses on the second floor for the owners to live in.

[Image: overall_view_thumb.jpg]
(07-09-2011, 03:26 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(07-09-2011, 01:22 AM)romanaround Wrote: Yeah, all I know is that he ran into certain problems and all I've seen were blue prints and pictures of the town and that ugly glass cathedral. I was wondering specifically whether it was just put on hold or the whole thing was called off and he sold the piece of land...

Not at all. It exists. The chapel isn't even made out of glass, as the original sketches had it. It doesn't look too bad in person. The university buildings are rather ugly and uninspired, though.

I liked how the shops in the town square have houses on the second floor for the owners to live in.

Wow!  And they say Kansas is flat!  :laughing:  I wonder if it's a big tourist spot now.  It reminds me of that FB game Cityville (or something like that) where you get to build the town.  This one is just centered around a church.
If only he had been a Trad.  Monahan got sucked into the Charismatic fever swamp, however.

On the bright side, they do have a lot of TLMs available now, after an initial fight against it.

However, I see this whole thing blowing up.  Unless he keeps pumping money into it.  I think the prime customers of AMU are daughters of rich Catholic lawyers.  If you go there, you spend a wad of money for a degree that either allows you to be a priest, or a lawyer, or marry a Catholic lawyer you meet there.
(07-09-2011, 03:26 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:

Is this the city built by Domino's Pizza?
Seems so
anyway nothing wrong with wanting and living n a catholic community
some feel they need that and it should be supported. Others who don't shouldn't worry t much about it and lencthokics live the way the want as long as it's not sinfull
no argument really
o prefer livng In cstholic communities but there r few around more will grow and more will pop up as the shit hits it's only natural for Catholics to end up living beside eschother
(07-09-2011, 07:31 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Seems so
anyway nothing wrong with wanting and living n a catholic community
some feel they need that and it should be supported. Others who don't shouldn't worry t much about it and lencthokics live the way the want as long as it's not sinfull
no argument really
o prefer livng In cstholic communities but there r few around more will grow and more will pop up as the shit hits it's only natural for Catholics to end up living beside eschother

But do they get free crappy pizza?