Article on altar rails
(07-04-2011, 09:42 PM)HotRod Wrote: wow, not an article I would expect to read in NCR.

I believe you're thinking of the National Catholic Reporter...
Yeah, Fr. Jay Finelli is the steaming priest!!!  Although he isn't a traditionalist he is a Great guy!

He is pastor at this Church

[Image: head_pentecost_2011.jpg]
http://www.holyghostcc.org/

Unfortunately I do not know of a single Church that has replaced/installed altar rails in the last many years.
I asked our Diocesan Ordinary to reinstall the cathedral altar rails and he said no.
The Church where I attend Mass is an abomination, it was modified in the 80s (go figure). Not only did they remove the altar rails but put the altar in the center and reconfigured the pews around the altar. Behind the altar is one of those resurrected Jesus figures, not even a crucifix.  Drives me crazy, I look forward to the altar but am looking directly at other folks attending the mass.

A few years ago a formal poll of parishioners was taken about reconfiguring the church to be more traditional. More than 90% responded and said they wanted the church to be reconfigured (altar at the back etc) and said they would pay for it to be done. The way the poll was done was cool too, ballots and pencils were left in the pews, those that attended Mass filled them out and dropped them off in a ballot box on the way out. If you're a CE Catholic, no vote. Anyway, the project was delayed due to the economy but is now underway again; and this is in the Archdiocese of Boston... there is hope!
(07-05-2011, 01:36 PM)revert_43 Wrote: The Church where I attend Mass is an abomination, it was modified in the 80s (go figure). Not only did they remove the altar rails but put the altar in the center and reconfigured the pews around the altar. Behind the altar is one of those resurrected Jesus figures, not even a crucifix.  Drives me crazy, I look forward to the altar but am looking directly at other folks attending the mass.

A few years ago a formal poll of parishioners was taken about reconfiguring the church to be more traditional. More than 90% responded and said they wanted the church to be reconfigured (altar at the back etc) and said they would pay for it to be done. The way the poll was done was cool too, ballots and pencils were left in the pews, those that attended Mass filled them out and dropped them off in a ballot box on the way out. If you're a CE Catholic, no vote. Anyway, the project was delayed due to the economy but is now underway again; and this is in the Archdiocese of Boston... there is hope!

This is great news.  And I think it represents a trend.
... Maybe I can talk Fr. Mark into at least having kneelers available for Communion.

I think our "we're trying to raise vocations by getting female priests" members would throw an even bigger fit than they did over Adoration if we fixed the church's layout.

To borrow Fr. Z's catch phrase: brick by brick.  Or baby steps.
(07-05-2011, 01:36 PM)revert_43 Wrote: The Church where I attend Mass is an abomination, it was modified in the 80s (go figure). Not only did they remove the altar rails but put the altar in the center and reconfigured the pews around the altar. Behind the altar is one of those resurrected Jesus figures, not even a crucifix.  Drives me crazy, I look forward to the altar but am looking directly at other folks attending the mass.

That is awesome.
(07-05-2011, 12:45 PM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote: Yeah, Fr. Jay Finelli is the steaming priest!!!  Although he isn't a traditionalist he is a Great guy!

But he does celebrate the TLM at least sometimes, right?  I think I heard him mention that on his podcast.  (I used to listen to it.)
(07-04-2011, 09:43 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(07-04-2011, 09:42 PM)HotRod Wrote: wow, not an article I would expect to read in NCR.

I believe you're thinking of the National Catholic Reporter...

Ah, thank you for the correction.  Its hard to keep all the good and bad Catholic organizations straight in my head.
(07-05-2011, 01:01 PM)dan hunter Wrote: Unfortunately I do not know of a single Church that has replaced/installed altar rails in the last many years.
I asked our Diocesan Ordinary to reinstall the cathedral altar rails and he said no.

My parish (diocesan) recently had a brand new altar rail installed.