Father Corapi's Superior Levels the Charges!
(07-06-2011, 12:13 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Wow
just think if fsther corapo was raping boys and being a good NO pedo hebwoukd of been given a fancy vecation and a new parish full of more young boys
sip
gasp he slept with the wrong sex snd age group here
sip
sleeping with women is just to much for most NO bishops to bere. Kids and men well that's a different matter
sip
one nore thing. Why dis the women give hi. Up when she did? Hell hath no fury ..........

:laughing:  I know, right?

I'm just relieved it's a hetero scandal and not more of the same old.
(07-06-2011, 01:26 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(07-06-2011, 01:25 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: Some of you appear to have a misunderstanding with regard to "temporary vows." These are common in all religious orders. Novices take temporary vows, and then once they have proven themselves for a few years, they then take perpetual vows. I have never heard of a case where they take temporary vows at the start, and then stop taking those vows altogether once they have been with the order a while. Indeed, if you are a religious, by definition, you must take vows in accord with the evangelical counsels of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Father Corapi hasn't taken a vow of poverty and these jerks have a lot of nerve playing the class-war card.

Moreover, Solt isn't a religious order, it's some kind of Society of Apostolic Life.

I'm not playing the class war card.

Although they aren't a religious order, they may foster consecrated life, which appears to be the case. It appears that they do at least make "promises" of poverty, likely to their superiors.
(07-06-2011, 01:33 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(07-06-2011, 01:26 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(07-06-2011, 01:25 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: Some of you appear to have a misunderstanding with regard to "temporary vows." These are common in all religious orders. Novices take temporary vows, and then once they have proven themselves for a few years, they then take perpetual vows. I have never heard of a case where they take temporary vows at the start, and then stop taking those vows altogether once they have been with the order a while. Indeed, if you are a religious, by definition, you must take vows in accord with the evangelical counsels of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Father Corapi hasn't taken a vow of poverty and these jerks have a lot of nerve playing the class-war card.

Moreover, Solt isn't a religious order, it's some kind of Society of Apostolic Life.

I'm not playing the class war card.

Although they aren't a religious order, they may foster consecrated life, which appears to be the case. It appears that they do at least make "promises" of poverty, likely to their superiors.

I'm not talking to you rbj, I'm talking about the guy who's falsely accusing Father Corapi of not having lived according to a vow he's never taken.

It's just one more thing they want to throw at him, and I think it should cost them dearly.

I don't believe Father should play by their rules, and I hope he rakes them over the coals.
If Father Corapi blinks now, he's done. 
well given how badly father corapi has played his hand so far,
sip
seems hes been out classed and flanked here.
if he is guilty then i fail to see why he has played his hand so bad. a guilty person in his boots with his loot should of had a number of contingencies preped for.
it appears he did not. regardless of a scorned woman =. father should be putting a better fight up herewhat gives?
mmmmm
unless hes innocent and is having a hard time maneging the complete betrayal
i dunno
somethins fishy
(07-06-2011, 01:45 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: well given how badly father corapi has played his hand so far,
sip
seems hes been out classed and flanked here.
if he is guilty then i fail to see why he has played his hand so bad. a guilty person in his boots with his loot should of had a number of contingencies preped for.
it appears he did not. regardless of a scorned woman =. father should be putting a better fight up herewhat gives?
mmmmm
unless hes innocent and is having a hard time maneging the complete betrayal
i dunno
somethins fishy

We'll see.
Based on the rash accusation against the Vow of Poverty alone, I'm guessing they don't know what they're doing, and he's going to eat them for lunch.
(07-06-2011, 12:59 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Looks like only Novices take a vow of poverty, so that's what looks like at least one false claim this denunciation makes.  

At the completion of this year and upon the discernment with those involved, the men receive the habit and make temporary promises of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience for one year. At the end of this year, the men will also discern with Our Lady’s Society if they are called to be priest in the Society or if they are to remain permanent brothers in the Society.

http://www.societyofourlady.net/priests-formation.html

(07-06-2011, 01:11 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Uh, sorry to interrupt your showtrial, Comrade Fathers, but:

According to what shows on line, Novices take a vow of poverty lasting only a year during the Novitiate.  It's temporary.

I wonder, since the author of the hit piece originating from Solt doesn't seem to understand his own Constitutions, that it's perhaps possible that he might have been less than competent or honest when it comes to the other evidence he's presented?

Hmmm....

It would seem more prudent to allow the Order to interpret their Constitution.  Still, if one reads what is actually written on the Society’s website, novices DO NOT make the vows of the Evangelical Counsels.  It states
Quote:The men are sent to Belize, Central America, or Belcourt, North Dakota, to complete a year of Candidacy.

After completion of this year and upon the discernment of the candidate and the Society, the men are then sent to Novitiate which is located in Southern Colorado … At the completion of this year and upon the discernment with those involved, the men receive the habit and make temporary promises of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience for one year.

I.E., First profession of temporary vows (or promises as they word it, perhaps because the Society does not hold the rank of an order yet) is made after completion of the novitiate.  This would be standard practice for almost all religious orders that I am familiar with (and having had relatives of a couple of generations ago who were Jesuits and women religious of the Sisters of the Holy Names).  Typically there is a progression of 1 - 3 professions of temporary vows, with a1 - 3 year term associated with each.  At the end of this progression the religious, if not ordained, is typically free to return to the lay state without further canonical process.  If they are male and had received the order of sub deacon they are bound to their vow of celibacy unless dispensed.  If they have been ordained to the diaconate or priesthood they would be required to be incardinated into another jurisdiction (another order, or a diocese) unless they go through the formal canonical process of laicization.  If there is mutual discernment between the religious and the order or society to remain then Final Vows (sometimes called “perpetual vows”) are made and it is expected that the person will remain within the life of the order for the remainder of their earthly life.

The full constitution of SOLT does not appear to be on their web site, and even if it were, it would be their prerogative to properly interpret its meaning, not whichever random lay folk who happened to randomly come across it.

Father Corapi has been under the jurisdiction of SOLT (as all priests in good standing are always under somebody’s jurisdiction, there are no “free agents” in this regard) and he has to an extent operated his rather independent ministry under their auspices and good name.  It does not seem unreasonable for his superiors to ask him to come to the “home office” and check in once in awhile.  There are some appearances that he has been resisting doing this, and otherwise not being as fully cooperative with the investigative process as he might.

The orderly and timely completion of a proper canonical inquiry, with the full participation of all involved parties and without the interference or intrusion of a competing secular legal process, would seem to be the best way to clear Father’s name and to return him as quickly as possible to an authentic ministry in the Church.
(07-06-2011, 12:59 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Looks like only Novices take a vow of poverty, so that's what looks like at least one false claim this denunciation makes. 

At the completion of this year and upon the discernment with those involved, the men receive the habit and make temporary promises of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience for one year. At the end of this year, the men will also discern with Our Lady’s Society if they are called to be priest in the Society or if they are to remain permanent brothers in the Society.

In religious orders, when you take "temporary vows", it means that you're in the period of discernment before you decide to take permanent vows.  If the religious community has "poverty, chastity, and obedience" as temporary vows, then that means fully professed members would have had to take the same vows once they make their final profession.  On the page regarding religious brothers, it says all the brothers follow the evangelical counsels of poverty, chastity, and obedience (and there's no religious order in the world that makes it's religious brothers take promises that the priests don't have to take).  Fr. Corapi is bound by a vow of poverty as a permanently professed member of SOLT.
(07-06-2011, 01:58 PM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:

In religious orders, when you take "temporary vows", it means that you're in the period of discernment before you decide to take permanent vows.  If the religious community has "poverty, chastity, and obedience" as temporary vows, then that means fully professed members would have had to take the same vows once they make their final profession.  On the page regarding religious brothers, it says all the brothers follow the evangelical counsels of poverty, chastity, and obedience (and there's no religious order in the world that makes it's religious brothers take promises that the priests don't have to take).  Fr. Corapi is bound by a vow of poverty as a permanently professed member of SOLT.

Four things.

For one, he hasn't taken a vow of poverty, which does in fact exist in the new constitution.   

Two, Solt's not a religious order.

Three, Father Corapi is apparently grandfathered in under the old pre-94 constitution, otherwise, why are they just now being concerned about his wealth? 

They sure weren't concerned about it when he had to pay for his own medical care at the Mayo Clinic when he had a tumor.  And they weren't concerned about it when he had to pay for his own attorney and defend himself the last time he was accused, either.