Orange, CA Diocese may bid for bankrupt Crystal Cathedral
I hope the bankruptcy court decides against the bishop's offer. He's almost to retire, I hope he's gone without being able to push this down anyone's throat.

C.
I stead of buying that eyesore designed by heretics for heretics, why not just put the money into remodeling our own protestant inspired churches into a Catholic church?
(08-02-2011, 12:55 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: I stead of buying that eyesore designed by heretics for heretics, why not just put the money into remodeling our own protestant inspired churches into a Catholic church?

Exactly. So many of the Catholic churches in SoCal were made in a brutally modernist style.  I'll be the first to admit that a Gothic style building would look out of place there, but it would be lovely to see something continuing in the Spanish-colonial Baroque tradition like the Basilica at Mission San Juan Capistrano.  Someone smart could pitch it to the liberals under the guise of multi-culturalism  ;D
Gothic cathedrals look out of place in Europe today. Modern architecture is all around them.
(08-02-2011, 02:24 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: Gothic cathedrals look out of place in Europe today. Modern architecture is all around them.

Thinking of it in that sense, yes.  For that matter, any church not shaped like a shopping mall would look out of place in Orange County  :laughing:

I just mean to say that Gothic cathedrals look good in the Northeast where the land resembles England, France, Germany, the Northern European countries.  There's nothing more lovely than a grey gothic spire rising above a line of dense green forest in the background.

Spanish Baroque has more of a, well...Spanish flavor.  It looks good in a Mediterranean climate, just like Southern California, and is more appropriate to the Catholic cultural heritage of the population there.
(08-02-2011, 02:24 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: Gothic cathedrals look out of place in Europe today. Modern architecture is all around them.

Then that style would be great for the Church, whose members will always be “out of place!"