New GIRM closes loophole. Haugen, Haas and the gang shall weep
Cantors have been standard practice in the Roman Rite too within Gregorian chant scholae. They lead the chant and sing the more difficult parts of the chant, such as the Gradual verses, solo or in pairs. There is also precedent for having just one cantor sing the entire Mass by himself when a choir isn't available. And he can lead the congregation in singing the Ordinary too, I suppose. Just sayin'.

Of course, I am thinking of men in cassock and surplice here, ideally in holy orders; but then again, altar servers are ideally in orders too.
(07-08-2011, 10:03 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(07-08-2011, 03:37 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: Just wanted to point out that cantors have a place in the Church as part of Eastern Catholic tradition.  That doesn't mean it should be shoved into the Latin Rite, but to say cantors don't belong in Catholic liturgies is incorrect.

This website kind of has a Roman Catholic thing going on.  Do we really need to always be so politically correct toward the Eastern Rite? Can't we just assume we're just talking about the Roman church here?

Now, Melikite will be here to have my head! 

When the Russian and Ukrainian Orthodox return to the Church, we'll be a presence not so easily ignored ;)  We're like ants - first there's one of us, then there's three, then before you know it, Our Lady of Fatima has her way and this happy little Latin-only picnic is ruined!
Seriously, why do "traditionalists" care about a new NO  translation?

I'm not being snarky, it's a sincere question.
(07-10-2011, 01:05 PM)BrendanD Wrote: Seriously, why do "traditionalists" care about a new NO  translation?

It's the first step of my 45-step program to convert the NO into the TLM.
(07-10-2011, 01:22 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(07-10-2011, 01:05 PM)BrendanD Wrote: Seriously, why do "traditionalists" care about a new NO  translation?

Well it's prob less than 45 but yes that is indeed the plan.
(07-10-2011, 02:46 PM)Unum Sint Wrote:
(07-10-2011, 01:22 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Well it's prob less than 45 but yes that is indeed the plan.

Next year we bring back the prayers at the foot of the altar!
This was an effort of the previous pontificate.  It's a new translation of a "reformed" liturgy.  Nothing's changed.

Despite allegedly being in favor of "the reform of the reform" (there's no such thing, btw)  Pope Benedict has left the Novus Ordo intact.  (He did, however change the TLM - cf: Good Friday prayers and provisions for new propers)

Again, I don't see what interest this would have for traditionalists unless they're just liturgical "hobbyists"  (To paraphrase Auggie). I might encounter this at a wedding or funeral -- as I might witness a Lutheran service -- but it has zero impact on my spiritual (read: liturgical) life
(07-10-2011, 02:56 PM)BrendanD Wrote: This was an effort of the previous pontificate.  It's a new translation of a "reformed" liturgy.  Nothing's changed.

Despite allegedly being in favor of "the reform of the reform" (there's no such thing, btw)  Pope Benedict has left the Novus Ordo intact.  (He did, however change the TLM - cf: Good Friday prayers and provisions for new propers)

Again, I don't see what interest this would have for traditionalists unless they're just liturgical "hobbyists"  (To paraphrase Auggie). I might encounter this at a wedding or funeral -- as I might witness a Lutheran service -- but it has zero impact on my spiritual (read: liturgical) life

Many people here don't even have the option of attending the TLM and attend the NO.  Many people attend the NO as a last resort.  We're not all opposed to the NO under any circumstances. An improvement in the NO...is an improvement!

But, as someone who didn't properly celebrate International Latin Mass Day on Thursday your views are void :-p
I think many people in this forum started out at a reform of the reform type liturgy at brompton, christendom, san fran, saint agnes in mn, st john cantius and sebastienskirche. Salzburg, st. Dennis in Athens Greece, there are a lot of decent venues with fairly good catechesis.
(07-10-2011, 02:59 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Many people here don't even have the option of attending the TLM and attend the NO.  Many people attend the NO as a last resort.  We're not all opposed to the NO under any circumstances. An improvement in the NO...is an improvement!

But, as someone who didn't properly celebrate International Latin Mass Day on Thursday your views are void :-p

Why don't they have an option?  People drove for HOURS to attend the TLM (my parents among them)  Now we have SP,  why aren't people lining up priests to say Mass?  Building communities?

People who attend "pretty" NO masses are not traditionalists.  They have an interest in tradition; might like a little Latin; awwww the heck with it...