Cardinal Levada On Assisi Meeting
Quote: Nevertheless, his presence and activity are universal, limited neither by space nor time.

Borderline heresy.  His activity is not universal.  Outside the Church He is self-limited to calling people to Jesus and building up Faith to convert.  That is all.  Sanctification and Justification He limits to the Church.

Oh, and here's something else from the Encyclical:
Quote: Whatever the Spirit brings about in human hearts and in the history of peoples, in cultures and religions serves as a preparation for the Gospel47 and can only be understood in reference to Christ, the Word who took flesh by the power of the Spirit" so that as perfectly human he would save all human beings and sum up all things."48

And that is heresy.

edit:  It is no wonder when he quoted scripture, he cut out a key part:
Quote: 22. All the Evangelists, when they describe the risen Christ's meeting with his apostles, conclude with the "missionary mandate": "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations,...and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age"
  Something about baptizing, remember?
"Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword."
Matthew 10:34
(07-10-2011, 01:28 AM)James02 Wrote: Oh, and here's something else from the Encyclical:
Quote: Whatever the Spirit brings about in human hearts and in the history of peoples, in cultures and religions serves as a preparation for the Gospel47 and can only be understood in reference to Christ, the Word who took flesh by the power of the Spirit" so that as perfectly human he would save all human beings and sum up all things."48

And that is heresy.

That was a quote from VII's Gaudium et Spes...

Here's the non-gender-inclusive version,
Quote:For God's Word, by whom all things were made, was Himself made flesh so that as perfect man He might save all men and sum up all things in Himself.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_counc...es_en.html

heh, I guess I take that in this sense...
Quote:In like manner will the way be opened to the peace we long for, as St. Paul beautifully remarks in the passage where he joins the precept of prayer to holy desires for the peace and salvation of all men: "I desire, therefore, first of all, that supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all men; for kings and all that are in high station, that we may lead a quiet and peaceful life in all piety and chastity. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of truth" (I Tim. ii. 1-4)

From Pope Pius XI's, Caritate Christi Compulsi: http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius11/P11CARIT.HTM

Of course, we do call Christ "Savior of all men"  :shrug:
I am quoting JP II's encyclical from the official Vatican site.  Interesting that "might" got changed to "would".  Is the official translation Italian or Latin?  Did JPII change the Vat. II quote, or did someone do a poor interpretation on JPII official encyclical?  If the latter than I withdrawl my charge of heresy on JPII's part, though the translator turned the quote into heresy, whether intentional or not.

edit:  Oh, and there is this gem, which is incorrect.  The Holy Ghost does not give gifts to all people for the Church to discover in non-Catholics

Quote: both when he gives life to the Church and impels her to proclaim Christ, and when he implants and develops his gifts in all individuals and peoples, guiding the Church to discover these gifts, to foster them and to receive them through dialogue.
Here's the Latin.  Anyone care to translate this?

Quote:Spiritus hic idem est qui in incarnatione, in vita, in morte et resurrectione Iesu est operatus quique in Ecclesia operatur. Non alternat igitur cum Christo, nec explet inane quiddam quod interdum esse putatur inter Christum et Logon. Quod Spiritus in cordibus hominum operatur, in culturis et in religionibus, ad evangelium praeparat (Cfr. Lumen Gentium, 16), nec potest necessitudinem non habere cum Christo, Verbo carne facto Spiritus actione, “ut, perfectus homo, omnes salvaret et universa recapitularet
I think we're still going to have to wait and see what he does.
(07-10-2011, 12:09 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(07-10-2011, 12:08 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Except Adam Wayne.  She thinks my avatar was changed in response to one of her posts.  Heh.

Adam Wayne is a woman?   ???  I guess I never paid attention to the gender sign.

Adam Wayne is a man.  Calling him a woman is Dr. Bombay's idea of a witty insult.  You have learned something about Dr. Bombay's wit rather than Adam Wayne's gender.
Cardinal Levada Explains Reason for Assisi is Logos
Editor: sounds interesting and in line with a previous statement by a a protestant friend of Holy Father that he will use it as an opportunity to attack relativism.

[Zenit]"Peace without truth is not possible," Cardinal Levada stated, and the flip-side is also true: "the attitude to peace constitutes an authentic 'criterion of truth.'"

http://angelqueen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38085
Cardinal Leveda uses a whole lot of words to try to justify this Assisi meeting. I prefer straight-forward language.  Something like -

"Salvation comes through Jesus Christ and His One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. Outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation."

Am I going to hear a simple statement like this come out of Rome in my lifetime?

-Martin
Matthew 5:37 Wrote:"But let your speech be yea, yea: no, no: and that which is over and above these, is of evil."