Tolerance of false religions vs charity towards their followers
(10-12-2011, 11:28 PM)Erudite Celt Wrote: If John had been eating Locusts aka Insects he would only have eaten them once every seven years as per their swarming life-cycle.
The Locust tree however is Native to the Middle East and fruits for the whole year.

The 'locust' of which you speak, is the cicada, commonly called a locust, but has nothing to do with the true locust which the Forerunner ate:

Wikipedia Wrote:Cicadas are often colloquially called locusts although they are unrelated to true locusts, which are a kind of grasshopper.

Wikipedia Wrote:Locusts are the swarming phase of short-horned grasshoppers of the family Acrididae.
and are quite tasty if dried and salted.
Just to add a separate dimension to this; the prison I worked at wasn't allowed to serve pork of any kind to anyone because we had 2 Muslim women.  They couldn't afford the separate kitchens and additional help it would take to pull this off.  So nobody gets bacon and they are pissed!  I could see where you'd say, hey, then don't go to prison, but this went for the people that worked there as well.  You couldn't even bring anything with pork in it to the pot lucks we had.  The Muslims might show up and be offended and we'll get sued!

It is not unreasonable to ask for a vegetarian option for lunch in the company cafeteria.  How would you answer the same request if someone who is vegetarian for different reasons (non-religious) asked?

Allowing flex time for religious reasons is a slippery slope.  It depends on how it would affect how the employee does his job.  Once you allow flex time to some employees for religious reasons, can you deny another employee flex time if they said "I really like this exercise class on Fridays, can I take a long lunch?".  Now, to restrict flex time only for religious reasons, you have to impose a company policy that allows it for only those reasons.  Now you're showing favoritism and non-religious requests that are denied will have angry employees who want to sue because of discrimination.

So, provide some veggies, and don't allow flex time unless it is allowed for everyone, regardless of reason.  If the hours of the job were clear before the employee accepted, then they will have to work their religious beliefs around the employment contract that they accepted.