Sunday School Classes?
Does anybody remember the days at some churches (at least in the Brooklyn diocese) when the mom and dad dropped off their kids for a  half hour catechism class before mass? This for me was in the 1960s
I always thought Sunday school was a Protestant thing? I always went being raised Lutheran.
(07-12-2011, 11:58 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: I always thought Sunday school was a Protestant thing? I always went being raised Lutheran.

Jews also attend Sunday School. 

This boggles me to no end. 
That does seem a bit odd...
(07-13-2011, 12:03 AM)kayla_veronica Wrote: That does seem a bit odd...

I think Sunday School is less of a big thing for Catholics because of the fact that so long so many Catholics attended parochial schools. 
When I was younger my mother occasionally took me to a Protestant parish near our house. After the sermon, one of the old ladies from the congregation would collect all the children and take us to the parish hall for 'Sunday School.' There was no catechism though; all we ever did was draw pictures of various bible stories.
(07-13-2011, 12:06 AM)Raskolnikov Wrote: When I was younger my mother occasionally took me to a Protestant parish near our house. After the sermon, one of the old ladies from the congregation would collect all the children and take us to the parish hall for 'Sunday School.' There was no catechism though; all we ever did was draw pictures of various bible stories.

Us to...and sing songs, occasionally while holding hands.  :laughing:
(07-13-2011, 12:12 AM)kayla_veronica Wrote:
(07-13-2011, 12:06 AM)Raskolnikov Wrote: When I was younger my mother occasionally took me to a Protestant parish near our house. After the sermon, one of the old ladies from the congregation would collect all the children and take us to the parish hall for 'Sunday School.' There was no catechism though; all we ever did was draw pictures of various bible stories.

Us to...and sing songs, occasionally while holding hands.  :laughing:

And Jews in Sunday School learn to read scripture in the original Hebrew...on Sunday....
We had Sunday school before Mass as a preparation for Confirmation (Novus Ordo) back around grade 8. Of course we didn't really learn anything...
(07-13-2011, 12:54 AM)romanaround Wrote: We had Sunday school before Mass as a preparation for Confirmation (Novus Ordo) back around grade 8. Of course we didn't really learn anything...

Our's was on Saturday mornings before Confirmation, and we also learnt next to nothing.