Thoughts on commute for TLM
(07-14-2011, 11:51 AM)PaterfamiliasKemp Wrote:
(07-14-2011, 07:45 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Even if it were 1 hour, we could do it, but our situation isn't yours.  You're the only one who can make that decision for your family, as husband and head of household.  My suggestion, though, is to expose your children to the TLM as much as possible, perhaps by doing what JayneK does and making the trek every other week.  1 hour every other week is like half an hour every week, which is pretty doable.  I mean, even when I went to church in the same city where I lived, it took about fifteen minutes between traffic lights and everything.

You are quite right, I currently bring the children as often as I can, the First time I brought my 3yo to the TLM, at the end he said, "Papa, is it over? That was AWESOME!" So I want them exposed to the TLM as much as possible. I think this is what we are planning on doing (the every other week trek) especially when you break it down like that. Thank you for the input!

That's beautiful!  I pray that someday you will be able to make it every week, especially with your son loving it so.  :)
(07-16-2011, 02:19 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote:
(07-15-2011, 11:18 PM)PaterfamiliasKemp Wrote:
(07-15-2011, 10:45 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: The Novus Ordo almost helped me lose my faith and become Orthodox or sedevacantist since there was no way I could make sense of what the Church traditionally taught with what I was seeing go on.

I Agree, My best friend is an Orthodox Priest and he has been working on me hard, There have been times when I have felt close to caving, and the biggest factor (but certainly not the only) has been the NO. I don't because I have very strong convictions when it comes to Traditional Roman Catholic teaching and doctrine, and while there is theologically about a 3% difference between us, I am unable to reconcile that 3%. I am Glad that you didn't lose your faith, Christ needs you.

Not to mention those 1st class miracles the Catholic faith has, that the Orthodox don't.

You are right. To my knowledge the Orthodox do not have any first class miracles to speak of. Sometimes it is only thinking of things like that which has kept me from caving. Of all the people that snatch away Catholics I think the Orthodox will be the most successful, especially with so many Orthodox churches popping up here in the US and the continued chaos reigning in most corners of Rome. Without discernment and a real knowledge of the Catholic faith Orthodoxy can be intoxicating and convincing, especially when the Divine Liturgy at even the most renovationist Orthodox parish is more reverent by leaps and bounds than practically any Novus Ordo.
It is settled and God does take care of things. I told my wife on Monday that we are just going to start making the commute as often as circumstances allow, then this morning after praying the rosary I stopped by the local Catholic book store in town to pick up a chapel veil for my wife and the owners offered me a job starting at the end of august! Again thank you all for your support, prayers and advice. May the Lord bless you, protect you from all evil and lead you to everlasting life.
(07-20-2011, 01:08 PM)PaterfamiliasKemp Wrote: It is settled and God does take care of things. I told my wife on Monday that we are just going to start making the commute as often as circumstances allow, then this morning after praying the rosary I stopped by the local Catholic book store in town to pick up a chapel veil for my wife and the owners offered me a job starting at the end of august! Again thank you all for your support, prayers and advice. May the Lord bless you, protect you from all evil and lead you to everlasting life.

Wow, that is a great story illustrating God's Providence.  Would you consider writing it all up as a post for the Fish Eaters blog?
(07-20-2011, 01:09 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(07-20-2011, 01:08 PM)PaterfamiliasKemp Wrote: It is settled and God does take care of things. I told my wife on Monday that we are just going to start making the commute as often as circumstances allow, then this morning after praying the rosary I stopped by the local Catholic book store in town to pick up a chapel veil for my wife and the owners offered me a job starting at the end of august! Again thank you all for your support, prayers and advice. May the Lord bless you, protect you from all evil and lead you to everlasting life.

Wow, that is a great story illustrating God's Providence.  Would you consider writing it all up as a post for the Fish Eaters blog?

Sure, actually I would be honored, thanks for asking. Do I have a deadline, and what is the process? Maybe you could PM me the information I need?

I'm so glad!  God bless you and your family.
Getting ready to head out soon! :pray:
Ok, so that was well worth the effort. It was allot closer than I was led to believe (it only took about 30 minutes to drive) and there were plenty of places to stop along the way if it was needed. The only problem we actually ran into was my 11mo decided it was time to enter the "I'm going to scream as long as we are actually in the church" stage, so my wife missed the Mass as she spent it outside with our little boy. She said she tried to bring him back in 3 times, but every time they made it to the door he started screaming again. I felt really bad for her. It was a Beautiful church too, but I didn't see anywhere but outside to bring a screaming infant. That being said, it was way more convenient that I thought it would be and we will defiantly be returning on a regular basis.  :pazzo:
(07-24-2011, 03:15 PM)PaterfamiliasKemp Wrote: Ok, so that was well worth the effort. It was allot closer than I was led to believe (it only took about 30 minutes to drive) and there were plenty of places to stop along the way if it was needed. The only problem we actually ran into was my 11mo decided it was time to enter the "I'm going to scream as long as we are actually in the church" stage, so my wife missed the Mass as she spent it outside with our little boy. She said she tried to bring him back in 3 times, but every time they made it to the door he started screaming again. I felt really bad for her. It was a Beautiful church too, but I didn't see anywhere but outside to bring a screaming infant. That being said, it was way more convenient that I thought it would be and we will defiantly be returning on a regular basis.  :pazzo:

DEO GRATIAS!  :w2go: :amen:
(07-24-2011, 03:15 PM)PaterfamiliasKemp Wrote: Ok, so that was well worth the effort. It was allot closer than I was led to believe (it only took about 30 minutes to drive) and there were plenty of places to stop along the way if it was needed. The only problem we actually ran into was my 11mo decided it was time to enter the "I'm going to scream as long as we are actually in the church" stage, so my wife missed the Mass as she spent it outside with our little boy. She said she tried to bring him back in 3 times, but every time they made it to the door he started screaming again. I felt really bad for her. It was a Beautiful church too, but I didn't see anywhere but outside to bring a screaming infant. That being said, it was way more convenient that I thought it would be and we will defiantly be returning on a regular basis.  :pazzo:

Glad the Mass is closer than you thought, 30 minutes is nothing!
We drive 45 with 5 kids, on days that it seems too much I think of those who have walked that long to hear Mass and offer it up.  We are extremely blessed to have a TLM after such a long drought, it is worth any sacrifice to attend it.

By the way, children often do much better at Mass when handled by Dad.  My husband has our 20 month, 3 year, and 5 year olds trained to be silent throughout Mass.  If left alone with me though, they are animals!  I've seen this to be the case with other families as well.

Good luck and God bless!