3 Natures in Christ
(08-02-2011, 03:10 AM)Gregory I Wrote: Sounds like ACTUALY monophysitism.

THe human spirit and the Holy Spirit are NOT the same substance; the Human spirit is created. THe Holy Spirit is uncreated. THerefore, the created, having no relation to the uncreated, is nOT of the same substance; for GOd did not make men from HIMSELF, but rather, he creates the soul immediately from nothing.

This.

THe human spirit and the Holy Spirit are NOT the same substance; the Human spirit is created. THe Holy Spirit is uncreated. THerefore, the created, having no relation to the uncreated, is nOT of the same substance; for GOd did not make men from HIMSELF, but rather, he creates the soul immediately from nothing.

It's not pantheism or monophysitism.

The soul of man has its source in the Divine Soul which created it.  There's nothing heretical about that.  Indeed, He did not make men from Himself exactly, but He did make man in His image, and some of Him rests within us.
(08-02-2011, 04:42 AM)Walty Wrote:

The soul of man has its source in the Divine Soul which created it.  There's nothing heretical about that.  Indeed, He did not make men from Himself exactly, but He did make man in His image, and some of Him rests within us.

Sorry, Walty.  But I have to insist.  This sounds a bit like Pantheism.

I know what you are saying. That all created substance spiritual and material is God's creation, but I don't agree that the soul of a man can be likened to the same substantial type as the Divine substance. That said, I would say that the human soul is substantially closer to God than any created substance.
(08-02-2011, 08:28 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

I know what you are saying. That all created substance spiritual and material is God's creation, but I don't agree that the soul of a man can be likened to the same substantial type as the Divine substance. That said, I would say that the human soul is substantially closer to God than any created substance.

Once again.  God is beyond any human comprehension.

I'm not saying that the human soul is divine.  I'm simply saying that humanity isn't a standalone spiritual substance, totally set apart from God's existence.  We exist because He gives His spiritual existence to us.

That's not pantheism.  I'm not saying that men are God, or that they are one in being or substance with Him.
(08-02-2011, 10:54 PM)Walty Wrote:

I'm not saying that the human soul is divine.  I'm simply saying that humanity isn't a standalone spiritual substance, totally set apart from God's existence.  We exist because He gives His spiritual existence to us.

That's not pantheism.  I'm not saying that men are God, or that they are one in being or substance with Him.

Walty has said:  "We exist because He gives His spiritual existence to us." 

To me, that sounds like Pantheism.
Walty:

God does NOT EVER take from HIMSELF to create another. He creates ex nihilo. FROM nothing. It is not HIMSELF he puts in us, it is a completely separate created soul that has no relation to the divine essence. It is SIMILAR in terms of it being an intelligible thing (SOmething you can understand but not picture or imagine) and GOd is intelligible as well. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest your opinion. Perhaps you can give a rational basis for your opinion?
(08-03-2011, 01:01 AM)Gregory I Wrote: Walty:

God does NOT EVER take from HIMSELF to create another. He creates ex nihilo. FROM nothing. It is not HIMSELF he puts in us, it is a completely separate created soul that has no relation to the divine essence. It is SIMILAR in terms of it being an intelligible thing (SOmething you can understand but not picture or imagine) and GOd is intelligible as well. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest your opinion. Perhaps you can give a rational basis for your opinion?

This.
(08-03-2011, 01:01 AM)Gregory I Wrote: Walty:

That's not true.  He takes from His existence and gives it to us.  It doesn't diminish His existence in any way, but His existence is the source.  I'm not saying they are the same either.

But, this is why we are taught that Christ, in some way, is inside all of us.