Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
(07-20-2011, 04:33 PM)Doce Me Wrote:
(07-20-2011, 04:15 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: And then how is free will anything other than an illusion if we are going to end up in Heaven or Hell according to whether or not God decides to give us efficacious grace?  It would seem that free will is a sham, because those who do not receive efficacious grace, not matter how much they love and desire to be with God, can't.  They will burn.

If free will is the instrument by which we accept or reject God, then what good is sufficient grace?  If it can't help us to Heaven, why would we want to have anything to do with it?  On the other hand, if we accept it (because its from God) and live our life accordingly, but were never provided efficacious grace, we still don't get to heaven.

That doesn't make any sense to me.  Maybe I'm not understanding it. 

I think Garrigou-Lagrange does answer this well:

Christian Perfection and Contemplation According to St. Thomas Aquinas
and St. John of the Cross
by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.
"Garrigou-Lagrange" Wrote:St. Thomas, following St. Augustine and opposing Pelagian or semi-Pelagian naturalism, grasped the depth and the height of our Lord's words: "Without Me you can do nothing," [1] and of St. Paul's words: "For it is God Who worketh in you, both to will and to accomplish, according to His good will." [2] "For who distinguisheth thee? Or what hast thou that thou hast not received?" [3] In the work of salvation we cannot distinguish any part that is exclusively ours; all comes from God, even our free co-operation, which efficacious grace gently and mightily stirs up in us and confirms.

This grace, which is always followed by its effect, is refused to us, as we said, only if we resist the Divine, auxilium praeveniens, sufficient grace, in which the efficacious help is already offered us, as fruit is in the flower. If we destroy the flower, we shall never see the fruit, which the influence of the sun and of the nourishment of the earth would have produced. Now man is sufficient to himself to fall; drawn from nothingness, he is by nature defectible. He is sufficiently assisted by God so that he falls only through his own fault, which thus deprives him of a new help. This is the great mystery of grace. We have elsewhere explained what St. Thomas and his best disciples teach about this mystery. [4]

With him and St. Augustine we must submit our intelligence before this Divine obscurity, and as Bossuet says, "confess these two graces (sufficient and efficacious), one of which leaves the will without excuse before God, and the other does not permit the will to glory in itself." [5] Is this not in conformity with what our conscience tells us? According to this doctrine, all that is good in us, naturally or supernaturally, has its origin in the Author of all good. Sin alone cannot come from Him, and the Lord allows it to happen only because He is sufficiently powerful and good to draw from it a greater good, the manifestation of His mercy or justice.

Thanks for that Doce, very good.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by Christus Imperat - 07-20-2011, 04:49 PM