Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
(07-20-2011, 05:42 PM)Christus Imperat Wrote:
(07-20-2011, 05:21 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: This is helping.  Let me make my question a little more specific.

I understand that our salvation is allowed/willed by God.  We can't simply "be good" and have that be enough to get to Heaven.  Supposing two Catholics lived lives of equal temporal merit- they followed church teaching, discipline, evangelized, lived according to the precepts of the Church, Ten Commandments, etc.  They were, in every earthly respect, saints.  They were the kind of men who, if you bet on such things, would wager they would be in Heaven.  ETA They both die in in the state of grace.

But only one of them received efficacious grace while the other received only sufficient grace.  Will only the one who received efficacious grace reach Heaven? 

Christs sacrifice was enough to save all, but not all will be saved.  Is this because not all accept God's grace, or because not all receive God's <i>efficacious</i> grace?

For example, what are the points of the sacraments if we can only be saved by God's efficacious grace?  Or the point of anything, for that matter?

It is not that grace is something incidentally required for salvation, but rather that without grace no one is able to do what is required to be saved.  As the Canon quoted above says, no one can believe, hope, or love as he ought to without the prevenient inspiration of the Holy Ghost.

In other words, it is not as though I might love God with all my heart, but still be damned because I did not receive efficacious grace.  Without grace, I will never love God as I ought.  Period.

So basically, Thomism is forensic soteriology.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by Melkite - 07-20-2011, 11:15 PM