Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
(07-21-2011, 08:59 AM)Melkite Wrote: Because if he is going to hell no matter what he does, he may want to eat drink and be merry so he can get some small enjoyment out of his existence.  If I tried to be good and denied myself in this life to avoid hell, and then found out that I was predtermined to go to hell anyway, i'd be all the more pissed at God for tricking me into thinking my efforts were worth something and thereby making my existence purely one of frustration, denying me even any momentary enjoyment of my existance before I received my irresistable eternal punishment.

You keep looking at this question the wrong way.

The reprobate aren't damned "no matter what", they are damned because of:

1) Guilt of original sin or;
2) Guilt of actual sin.

All mankind has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23). We all deserve punishment in Hell per default. Salvation is an act of mercy on God's part: by His grace, he freely justifies the elect through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Rom. 3:24). The reprobate justly die in their sins. In fact, ignorance of God's religion is also a punishment for sin. The elect, on the other hand, are mercifully saved by God's grace: that is why they can only boast in the Lord and not in themselves. They know that if it weren't for God's mercy, they would end up just like the reprobate.

The example you posited doesn't apply. You can't be good and deny yourself in this life to avoid hell, and then find out that you were predermined to go to hell anyway. That's not how real life works.

A person who lives justly and perseveres until the end is certainly to be counted among God's elect, since not only perseverance is a gift from God but also good works are enabled by His saving grace. Remember St. Paul's words to the Christians in Galatia (Gal. 5:19-24):

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects, envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's, have crucified their flesh, with the vices and concupiscences."

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by Vetus Ordo - 07-21-2011, 11:07 AM