Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
Ok.  Let me throw my 2 cents in.

1)  I think there is little evidence that Molinism is the norm of the Fathers.  Melkite, could you provide a summary of quotations to back up that point?  I apologize if you have already.  Could you repost them together neatly?

2) I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Augustinian view (which found its completion in Thomism) is the de fide accepted teaching of the Church, but it certainly holds more weight in my opinion.

However, all of this is moot.  What matters most is the theology.  I don't pretend to be any expert on this topic, but it is something which I have been studying to some extent for awhile. 

When we come to the theology itself, only one shows itself to be compatible with both Magisterial teaching and Holy Scripture.

I do not believe that there is any real reconciliation between Molinism and the words of St. Paul in the 9th chapter of the Epistle to the Romans:

Romans 9:16-10 Wrote:So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith to Pharao: To this purpose have I raised thee, that I may shew my power in thee, and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth. [18] Therefore he hath mercy on whom he will; and whom he will, he hardeneth. [19] Thou wilt say therefore to me: Why doth he then find fault? for who resisteth his will? O man, who art thou that repliest against God?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by Walty - 07-28-2011, 07:07 PM