Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
Well, look what Pope Pius XI wrote about Augustine

"3. Gelasius I hailed Jerome and Augustine as "luminaries among ecclesiastical teachers."[4] Hormisdas wrote in answer to Bishop Possessor's request for direction these weighty words: "What the Roman, that is, the Catholic Church follows and maintains touching free will and the grace of God, can be learned from the different works of blessed Augustine, those especially which he addressed to Hilary and Prosper, though the formal chapters are contained in the ecclesiastical records."[5] A like testimony was uttered by John II, when in refutation of heretics he appealed to the works of Augustine: "Whose teaching," he said, "according to the enactments of my predecessors, the Roman Church follows and maintains."[6] "

Also, The Popes themselves:

Pope St. Hormisdas: “What the Roman, that is the Catholic, Church follows and preserves concerning free will and the grace of God can be abundantly recognised in the various books of the blessed Augustine, and especially in those to Hilary and Prosper, but the prominent chapters are contained in the ecclesiastical archives and if these are lacking there, we establish them.” (Sicut Rationi, AD. 520).

The books of St. Augustine written to Hilary and Prosper, to which Hormisdas made especial reference as the teaching of the Church regarding grace and free will, are his last two books, which are collectively known as the Predestination of the Saints.

Pope John II: “According to the enactments of my predecessors, the Roman Church follows and maintains the teaching of Augustine.” (Epistle)

SO a modern Pope, Pius XI acknowledges that the Popes of old have taken Augustine's position as the Holy See's own.

Magisterial texts approving and defining Augustinian soteriology

This list is not comprehensive.

·        Council Carthage XVI (418)
·        The Catalogue or the Authoritative Statements of the Past Bishops of the Holy See Concerning the Grace of God (Indiculus de Gratia Dei)
·        Sicut Rationi (520)
·        Council of Orange II (529)
·        Epistle of Pope John II
·        Ad Salutem (1930) Pope Pius XI

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by Gregory I - 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM