Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
(08-02-2011, 01:24 AM)Gregory I Wrote: So, silouan, you are saying that nobody goes to Hell, because God just "loves us to much."

That's ridiculous. The Fathers unanimously teach there is a hell, and that we go there. One of God's principle attributes is justice. He is Both Justice and merciful; and because all of God's attributes are convertible terms (since he is the source and MEASURE of all being and virtue) we say his JUSTICE is good and merciful. His MERCY is good and just. And his GOODNESS is just and merciful.

He is just, because he allows those who choose hell to go there (Though he does not rejoice in their suffering), and he is merciful in sparing some damnation and granting them salvation. Now, YOU CANNOT FIND FAULT with the just judgements of God. Or did you forget the verse: "Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting fire, prepared for the Devil and his angels."?

GOd is Just, but not his ways are not our ways. He is Merciful, but his mercy is not our mercy.

He says: "I will be merciful to whom I will be merciful, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." In other words, the Divine majesty says to us mere mortals: "You don't understand; I do what I will BECAUSE I am the source of all being. I give life, I can take it away. And I am NOT capricious, because that implies you holding ME to a moral standard, when I AM the moral standard."

We do not subject the acts of God to scrutiny: We do not say they are just or unjust, moral or immoral!! WHAT ARROGANCE would posses a person to respond to the Divinity that way! Rather, ALL OF GOD'S ACTIONS ARE IMMEDIATELY QUALIFIED because he is the source and summit of all goodness, of all truth, of all justice, and all mercy.

SO, if he willed that someone not be saved because he FOREKNEW the person would be hardened against him, it is an act of goodness, love, justice and mercy; because he is Good, just, loving and merciful. It is GOOD because God's WILL is good. And he did not WILL to save them. Therefore his will to not save them is good. It is just, because the person deserves damnation, and it is merciful, because if the person were to go on living they would perhaps merely increase their torment of those around them. We do not know.

Likewise, if God wills to save somebody, it is an act of goodness, love and mercy.

God himself is the immediate moral qualification of all his actions. "WHo are thou o man who repliest against God?"

Once again, READ ROMANS 9! All of it.

Why did God Love Jacob but hate Esau? Even BEFORE THEY WERE BORN? Because he willed it.

God's ways are mysterious,

God wants all to go to Heaven.  And he helps all to achieve that end.  To Hell go those that did not want to love Him.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by wulfrano - 08-02-2011, 02:48 AM