Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
(08-02-2011, 12:32 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(08-02-2011, 01:24 AM)Gregory I Wrote: So, silouan, you are saying that nobody goes to Hell, because God just "loves us to much."

Those  of us who go to hell do so precisely because of God's love. Genuine love requires freedom and God respects our free will absolutely, even to the point of allowing us to reject Him if we choose to. God's love is all encompassing,  an "all consuming fire." He will be "all in all" and He does not remove His love even from those in hell. In fact many fathers would say that heaven and hell are both God's love experienced as light and beauty by those who accept Him and as pain and torment by those who reject Him.

(08-02-2011, 01:24 AM)Gregory I Wrote: He is just, because he allows those who choose hell to go there (Though he does not rejoice in their suffering), and he is merciful in sparing some damnation and granting them salvation. Now, YOU CANNOT FIND FAULT with the just judgements of God. Or did you forget the verse: "Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting fire, prepared for the Devil and his angels."?

But that is a contradiction. Because at least the way I understand St Augustine's doctrine He could have spared them hell by predestining them and offering them grace.

(08-02-2011, 01:24 AM)Gregory I Wrote: He says: "I will be merciful to whom I will be merciful, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." In other words, the Divine majesty says to us mere mortals: "You don't understand; I do what I will BECAUSE I am the source of all being. I give life, I can take it away. And I am NOT capricious, because that implies you holding ME to a moral standard, when I AM the moral standard."

He is morality. The problem is not Him but rather humanities distorted view of Him. If God is just and merciful and condemns countless millions of souls to unspeakable torment for all eternity then how am I to behave? If I have to subject objectionable people to torture or maybe even kill a few it pales in comparison to what our "loving" God will do to them. After all I am made in His image and likeness. Need I be more merciful than God?

This view of God says that mankind is inherently bad and out to be subjected to pain and suffering. How many of the nastier chapters of Medieval European history might have been avoided, the Inquisition, the torture and the way non-conformist were butchered, if only people hadn't taken such a cruel view of God?

This view of God turns Him from a loving Father into mankind's greatest danger and enemy. It has not only driven millions away from Him it has actually caused them to hate Him. It would be better if this "god" did not exist. Thankfully the modern Catholic Church has began to turn to a more balanced and correct view of God.

God loves all his creatures.  All He asks is to be loved in return.  Blessed are those that love Him in return.  I'm thinking specifically of St. Therese of the Little Flower.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by wulfrano - 08-02-2011, 07:55 PM