Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
(08-04-2011, 04:18 AM)Walty Wrote:
(08-03-2011, 08:03 PM)wulfrano Wrote:
(08-03-2011, 07:41 PM)Walty Wrote:
(08-03-2011, 07:27 PM)Gregory I Wrote: The grace of CONVERSION is intrinsically, and infallibly efficacious. OTHER specific graces may be resisted, because they are not all intrinsically effixacious.  Ask St. Augustine.

To be honest, I think both Augustine and Thomas take things further.  I believe they say that no graces can be resisted.

Will you please quote your sources?

Perhaps.  To be honest, I'm writing an MA thesis paper on this topic at the moment and it's giving me quite a headache.  But, I don't think there's a huge distinction between election and grace in Thomas, both of which, in a rejection of any sort of Pelagianism or Molinism, come entirely from divine providence.

I'll see if I can dig up some specific quotations.

Here is another relevant quote from St. Thomas. 
"St. Thomas Aquinas" Wrote:Summa Theologica  Ia IIae

Question 113. The effects of grace

(In Article 2 he establishes that the infusion of grace is required for the remission of guilt, i.e. for the justification of the ungodly?)

Article 3. Whether for the justification of the ungodly is required a movement of the free-will?

I answer that, The justification of the ungodly is brought about by God moving man to justice. For He it is "that justifieth the ungodly" according to Romans 4:5. Now God moves everything in its own manner, just as we see that in natural things, what is heavy and what is light are moved differently, on account of their diverse natures. Hence He moves man to justice according to the condition of his human nature. But it is man's proper nature to have free-will. Hence in him who has the use of reason, God's motion to justice does not take place without a movement of the free-will; but He so infuses the gift of justifying grace that at the same time He moves the free-will to accept the gift of grace, in such as are capable of being moved thus.

So God moves the free-will even as the grace is being accepted.  But the free-will is a part of human nature. When God moves it there is no "force".  It is moving just as (or more) freely as it does in every good thing we do. Man is truly cooperating with God. Man must cooperate. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by Doce Me - 08-04-2011, 06:06 PM