Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
(08-05-2011, 12:07 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(08-04-2011, 11:48 PM)Doce Me Wrote:
(08-04-2011, 11:33 PM)Melkite Wrote: An ex-Catholic friend of mine from college who converted to Calvinism tried to describe it to me as like either a quilt or a cross stitch (I don't remember which one, this was 11 years ago.)  She said free will and predestination are like the opposite sides of a cross stitch, we only see the side that's supposed to be seen, but God sees the other side where all the colors in place that tell you where this or that thread is supposed to be stitched.  Or like a quilt where we see one teeny tiny fragment, but God has put them all together and the beauty comes from all the pieces together as a whole, each piece not having much beauty except for its orchestrated relation to the rest.

Very nice analogy

I'm not saying I agree with it, just that that is how it was explained to me.

You went to Mt. St. Mary's?  In Emmittsburg?

Hmm,  the analogy is not so good if it is explaining the Calvinist view.  But the point for me is that God's view encompasses ours (the weaver has a view of both sides of the cross-stitch if he needs to) but we don't see His very well.  In the end we will see and understand His masterpiece, the very real part that we played, and the reason for all our suffering and difficulties.

No, I didn't go to Mt. St. Mary's.  I just stole their motto!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by Doce Me - 08-05-2011, 12:25 AM