Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism?
(08-22-2011, 12:20 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(08-21-2011, 11:21 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(08-21-2011, 09:19 PM)Gregory I Wrote: I know one: That God is the Cause of the commission of evil acts, but not their formal malice. SInce he has created all things with their end in view, he has therefore brought into being the evil acts that men commit (By willing to create men he knew would do them).

Is not GOd therefore the author of humankinds evil actions, since they would not be commited unless he had willed to create those who would do such things?

Yes, this is (more or less) the third ojection leveled against the Thomistic system in the Catholic Encyclopedia's article called "Controversies on Grace".

I would like it to be known that I identify most with the Thomistic perspective on grace, but I do think that these objections need to be answerable in order for Thomism to be a potential solution to the problem (as it were).

Why is this an "unanswerable" objection? Ne nos inducas in tentationem: the Our Father himself hints at God's sovereignty over all created things.

Molinism on the other hand makes God a passive being, something literally blasphemous.

Vetus, if I were to say that the Catholic theology that confession and dying in the state of true grace are salvific necessities conflicted with your views, what would you say?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can we extricate ourselves from Molinism? - by Norbert - 08-22-2011, 01:21 AM