The worst
(07-21-2011, 03:41 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: I was suspicious of haggis at first, too. More so when I saw it. It looks like it has maggots in it. But it's really good...and with a whisky sauce and neeps and tatties, it's delicious. It pays to be adventurous when trying new food.

Once I ordered steak tartar without knowing what it was. That was a mistake.

Shut up, just shut up.

You had me at whisky.
(07-21-2011, 04:47 AM)Joshua Wrote: I love to cook and I'd like to call myself a bit of an amateur "foodie" but I'm generally a very "unpicky" eater. However, there are a few things that make me launch into culinary fury.

White Castle burgers: Frankly, the preceding phrase is an oxymoron as these soggy, putrid little urinal cakes barely constitute food fit for human consumption ... much less true burgers. The ones I received were basted in grease, had gristly patties and tasted like they were cooked on a trash-can lid. I ordered one with bacon to see if such a venerable ingredient might take the edge off of one of these things. I was wrong.

Chicken with Mole Poblano: This is widely considered the national dish of Mexico. For those who aren't in the know vis-a-vis south-of-the-border culinary fare, "mole" is a Mexican sauce (with dozens of local variations) made from a bewildering long list of ingredients including numerous spices, herbs, various chili peppers and, typically, Mexican chocolate. Every variant I've tried tasted akin to chicken slathered in garlic, onions, chili peppers and Hershey's chocolate syrup. Perhaps I've had it ill-prepared, but chocolate and chicken is about as abominable a combination as one can get. What's next, Mexico? Goat on a banana split?

Pickled ginger (Gari): This is a Japanese concoction typically found as a condiment in sushi bars. It's antiseptic-like flavor is like stuffing your mouth with a wet, antibacterial hand wipe. Blech ...

That's all I can think of at the moment! I'm sure there's more ...

Mole and chicken is great.  You're obviously biased against Mexicans! 

;D
(07-21-2011, 10:01 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: This thread is fully of culinary calumny and I demand that it be locked.

The grown ups are gone.  It will be like Lord of the Flies around here shortly.
(07-21-2011, 06:19 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Chocolate on chicken sounds horrid.  I forgot to mention my hatred of chocolate.  :p

One Spanish teacher told someone I know that Mexicans put chocolate on food, so she had everyone each a Hershey bar with a white bread bun.  This is blatantly wrong to portray foreign foods in such a manner, so don't listen when people say it's putting chocolate on food.  Real chocolate isn't the sweet-tooth delight that most people think of it as and it certainly isn't sweet when prepared properly.    Real mole, I believe, is made of chocolate, peanuts, and spices.  The hotter, the better!
You know when you get a gristly piece of ham and you don't know it's gristly so you put the whole thing in your mouth and it feels like you're chewing on pig colon?  Yeah, I hate that.  Even worse is when you find a piece of bone.  It's bad enough to almost crack a tooth, but it almost makes me vomit.  I'm very wary of ham nowadays, swine flu and what not.  However I love bacon.  ITS BACON!!!!!
The worst would be any fish that's not served properly. And by properly I mean either canned or in frozen stick form.

Celery is nasty, cauliflower--ick, asparagus--not a chance. Same with cucumbers. Basically I don't have a good relationship with vegetables. But oddly enough I love broccoli, which so many people seem to dislike...
almonds
(07-21-2011, 03:50 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote:
(07-21-2011, 06:19 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Chocolate on chicken sounds horrid.  I forgot to mention my hatred of chocolate.  :p

One Spanish teacher told someone I know that Mexicans put chocolate on food, so she had everyone each a Hershey bar with a white bread bun.   This is blatantly wrong to portray foreign foods in such a manner, so don't listen when people say it's putting chocolate on food.   Real chocolate isn't the sweet-tooth delight that most people think of it as and it certainly isn't sweet when prepared properly.    Real mole, I believe, is made of chocolate, peanuts, and spices.   The hotter, the better!

It's not the sweetness I dislike.  It's the chocolate.  I have a sweet-tooth as much as anyone, it's the chocolate flavor I hate.  I'd rather eat sugar by the spoonful than even smell chocolate.  Vile nasty stuff.  So bitter.  :(

I also don't like chicken.

So it's taking two things I dislike and putting them together.  ;D
beets are totally disgusting and make me gag.
I started this thread and I can't believe I forgot to list the most nausea-inducing, gorge-rising, gut-churning abomination that has ever been passed off as food in the dark annals of Man's inhumanity to Man.  The most revolting, repellent, disgusting filth, which I could not put in my mouth if I were within a whisker of starving to death.  Yes, the very thing compared to which cockroach heads stewed in kerosene would seem appealing. 

I refer, of course, to.......

Peeps.
http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/