The worst
(07-25-2011, 12:45 AM)piabee Wrote:
(07-24-2011, 05:51 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: I burned myself just trying to heat water in the one I had in my last apartment, so I've never used this one.

I'm suspicious of boiling water in the microwave. :tinfoilhat: It barely even steams. And I read a scary article once that if the inside surface of the mug is too smooth the pressure from the heat can build up and explode boiling water all over you. Kettles FTW.

WHAAAT?
(07-25-2011, 12:45 AM)piabee Wrote:
(07-24-2011, 05:51 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: I burned myself just trying to heat water in the one I had in my last apartment, so I've never used this one.

I'm suspicious of boiling water in the microwave. :tinfoilhat: It barely even steams. And I read a scary article once that if the inside surface of the mug is too smooth the pressure from the heat can build up and explode boiling water all over you. Kettles FTW.

Agreed.

In my case it was simply bc I could barely reach it and so it dripped on me.  But even so.

And do NOT, EVER, EVER heat a bottle or anything else intended for children in the microwave.  The heat does not distribute properly and there may be some very hot sections that could burn the child badly.
(07-25-2011, 12:45 AM)piabee Wrote: I'm suspicious of boiling water in the microwave. :tinfoilhat: It barely even steams. And I read a scary article once that if the inside surface of the mug is too smooth the pressure from the heat can build up and explode boiling water all over you. Kettles FTW.

I think I remember seeing a Good Eats episode about that...sort of a spoof on Mythbusters, only dealing with kitchen myths. Heck, maybe it was the real Mythbusters! lol Anyway, it said to use a container that's really wide, if you're actually boiling water, because that'll keep the water from exploding. Something to do with the amount of surface area. Creepy. I use a hotplate. No danger there.  :laughing:

To add to the list: sugar snap peas, and snowpeas. Nasty, super crunchy, always tasting raw no matter how much they're cooked.  :puke:
I don't really mind anything mentioned here so far.  Steamed conch wasn't too bad, and I'll even asked for extra tripe when I get pho.

The only thing I can't stomach is avocado.  Nasty creamy fruit.  Bleh.
(07-25-2011, 08:11 PM)Deidre Wrote:
(07-25-2011, 12:45 AM)piabee Wrote: I'm suspicious of boiling water in the microwave. :tinfoilhat: It barely even steams. And I read a scary article once that if the inside surface of the mug is too smooth the pressure from the heat can build up and explode boiling water all over you. Kettles FTW.

I think I remember seeing a Good Eats episode about that...sort of a spoof on Mythbusters, only dealing with kitchen myths. Heck, maybe it was the real Mythbusters! lol Anyway, it said to use a container that's really wide, if you're actually boiling water, because that'll keep the water from exploding. Something to do with the amount of surface area. Creepy. I use a hotplate. No danger there.  :laughing:

To add to the list: sugar snap peas, and snowpeas. Nasty, super crunchy, always tasting raw no matter how much they're cooked.  :puke:

Water can "superheat" in a microwave, by which I mean it can actually go above the boiling point without the motion usually associated with boiling (caused by gas bubble formation).  This is because the microwaves don't jostle the water (especially in a smooth container), but heating water in a pot heats the bottom of the water more and the hot water moves, makes currents, and there is jostling.

So superheated water from a microwave, once it is disturbed a tiny bit, can then suddenly boil over, and that can be dangerous.  The water doesn't actually "explode."

But I boil water in microwaves regularly, it's not a problem if you are careful. 
Liver. Eggplant. Cilantro.

I have tried to like eggplant, I really have, because it is just gorgeous. No can do. Cilantro makes me sick to my stomach, and liver is, well... liver.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
(07-27-2011, 05:13 PM)Pheo Wrote: I don't really mind anything mentioned here so far.  Steamed conch wasn't too bad, and I'll even asked for extra tripe when I get pho.

The only thing I can't stomach is avocado.  Nasty creamy fruit.  Bleh.

:o :o :o Heresy!!  :o :o :o
just about anything "pickled" except, well....pickles!
(07-27-2011, 05:44 PM)AdoramusTeChriste Wrote: Liver. Eggplant. Cilantro.

I have tried to like eggplant, I really have, because it is just gorgeous. No can do. Cilantro makes me sick to my stomach, and liver is, well... liver.

Believe it or not, I've actually had all three of those ingredients in a single dish! ... and I loved it.  ;D
(07-20-2011, 09:20 PM)Cassius_Longinus Wrote: Oh, I just thought of one!  Google pics are too nasty, look at your own risk.

Balut.

I love balut. I won't describe HOW I ate it, as it scared even my relatives in the Philippines,

I can't stand ginger (though I love ginger ale and gingerbread cookies). The smell alone makes me sick. I used to not be able to stand bittermelon, but since it has properties helpful to diabetics like me, I started having somewhat an acquired taste to it.