Poll: Is recreational hunting immoral?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Recreational hunting
(08-04-2011, 08:21 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(07-21-2011, 08:48 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-21-2011, 08:19 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I think it is unnecessary. I try to live like Native Americans in only using or consuming based on need. Fun isn't a need, but a desire, and there are more appropriate and productive ways to have fun. I love animals and nature, and we have done a shitty job as stewards of both. Maybe people will give a damn when their oxygen supply runs out, fresh water must be manufactured, and the sun is so damaging to cells that one cannot venture outside.

Yes I am a tree hugger.

Do you eat meat? I've always felt that those who eat meat but are morally opposed to hunting  are simply transferring the onus of the killing on to someone else. :) :)

Well said

You must have missed my response to this post.

I am not in favour of recreational hunting. By this term I mean hunting for fun. Hunting is good is feeding the necessities of food, clothing and shelter, but unnecessary and cruel when done for enjoyment.

The natives had it right in using the animal from tit to toe, without waste. They killed animals out of necessity.

I could say the same with hunters. Are they transferring the hatred of some person onto a wild animal that they can legally kill.
(08-04-2011, 07:18 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(07-21-2011, 08:19 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I think it is unnecessary. I try to live like Native Americans in only using or consuming based on need. Fun isn't a need, but a desire, and there are more appropriate and productive ways to have fun. I love animals and nature, and we have done a shitty job as stewards of both. Maybe people will give a damn when their oxygen supply runs out, fresh water must be manufactured, and the sun is so damaging to cells that one cannot venture outside.

Yes I am a tree hugger.

Do you eat meat? I've always felt that those who eat meat but are morally opposed to hunting  are simply transferring the onus of the killing on to someone else. :) :)

Well said

I am not in favour of recreational hunting. By this term I mean hunting for fun. Hunting is good is feeding the necessities of food, clothing and shelter, but unnecessary and cruel when done for enjoyment.

The natives had it right in using the animal from tit to toe, without waste. They killed animals out of necessity.

I could say the same with hunters. Are they transferring the hatred of some person onto a wild animal that they can legally kill.

Not necessarily.  You simply enjoy being a good marksman.  There is nothing wrong in wild animals serving as moving targets.
(08-04-2011, 07:29 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Yes I am a tree hugger.

Well said

Not necessarily.  You simply enjoy being a good marksman.  There is nothing wrong in wild animals serving as moving targets.

But there is life in them. If you want moving targets use plates.
(08-04-2011, 07:58 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(08-04-2011, 07:29 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Yes I am a tree hugger.

Well said

But there is life in them. If you want moving targets use plates.

OK.  And you become a vegetarian.
(08-04-2011, 07:58 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: But there is life in them. If you want moving targets use plates.

Sounds pretty pantheistic to me. Yes, there is life but they have no immortal souls and they are given to us as food.
(08-04-2011, 08:09 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-04-2011, 07:58 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: But there is life in them. If you want moving targets use plates.

Sounds pretty pantheistic to me. Yes, there is life but they have no immortal souls and they are given to us as food.

Thank you, Jovan.  I see nothing wrong at shooting at wild uneatable animals just for sport, fun, good social life, friendly hunters' talk, a good stiff drink for the best marksman, etc.

They are given to us as food not some object to be destroyed for the sake of destruction. I love meat. Kill all the animals and plants you want to feed, cloth and heat yourselves and families. But, do NOT chop trees down, kill animals or destroy the environment because of greed or vainglory. We must remember the next generation, and be good stewards for the planet and environment, creating sustainable economies that use full cycle production and waste.
(08-04-2011, 08:12 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Thank you, Jovan.  I see nothing wrong at shooting at wild uneatable animals just for sport, fun, good social life, friendly hunters' talk, a good stiff drink for the best marksman, etc.

Well I do. It is disturbing the mind that enjoys killing for killings sake.

Ignore any heathen concepts:

(08-04-2011, 08:13 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: They are given to us as food not some object to be destroyed for the sake of destruction. I love meat. Kill all the animals and plants you want to feed, cloth and heat yourselves and families. But, do NOT chop trees down, kill animals or destroy the environment because of greed or vainglory. We must remember the next generation, and be good stewards for the planet and environment, creating sustainable economies that use full cycle production and waste.

Yep, a BC granola eating, tree hugger! :laughing: Actually, I agree with you. I've been an 'environmentalist' in the school of Fr Fahey since the eco-freaks went on a rampage in the '60's. It's just that I don't see anything about recreational hunting that qualifies for your strictures. We are not talking about wiping the dodo out or almost destroying all the bison.
(08-04-2011, 08:13 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

They are given to us as food not some object to be destroyed for the sake of destruction. I love meat. Kill all the animals and plants you want to feed, cloth and heat yourselves and families. But, do NOT chop trees down, kill animals or destroy the environment because of greed or vainglory. We must remember the next generation, and be good stewards for the planet and environment, creating sustainable economies that use full cycle production and waste.

OK, UnamSanctam.  We'll just stay home with the ladies and do our knitting too.