The Fall of Father Corapi by Christopher A. Ferrara
(08-01-2011, 10:25 PM)HotRod Wrote: You guys have pretty much killed the thread  ;D   Also, I  dont think anyone is reading all your banter.

I'm reading it.

The bottom line is (in my most humble opinion) this: Fr. Corapi was ordered to return to his community. He refused.

Now, I can see that there are some here who believe the SOLT have false motives. And that may very well be the case. But in my opinion, it's all about covering your ass. Do everything they ask of you so as to show cooperation and good will. If you later see that you're not going to get a fair chance, then you can leave and it would be understandable. But Fr. Corapi didn't even try it; he was defiant from the start. His reasoning is that he was just going to be put in limbo, or forced "to crawl under a rock and die." Let's be real here: what kind of man doesn't stand up for himself? Again, it's one thing to fight and lose, and it's another to give up without trying.

I don't care about his sins. If they're true, repent. If not, the SOLT will have to answer for it sooner or later.

Being from the Diocese of Arlington, this reminds me of Fr. Haley. For those of you who don't know Fr. Haley, he was a priest that repeatedly tried to inform Bishop Loverde of the terrible things that were going on in the diocese. The bishop ignored him and later suspended him for testifying in a court case that he was subpoenaed to testify in. Rather than give up, Fr. Haley has been moving around the country, waiting for his opportunity to have his case heard. It's been over 9 years and Fr. Haley is still fighting.

You can read about the whole thing here: http://www.dailycatholic.org/issue/2003Feb/febfor1.htm
Nothing like slander from SOLT.

It was dirty pool that they dragged out his alleged "million dollar" collection of "luxury" vehicles and falsely accused him of violating his vows.

It's a strong indicator that they didn't have proof to hang him, but it would serve at least to save their own bacon in PR, unless Fr. Corapi was foollish enough to return and help them pay off a sex abuse claim.
(08-01-2011, 10:52 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Nothing like slander from SOLT.

It was dirty pool that they dragged out his alleged "million dollar" collection of "luxury" vehicles and falsely accused him of violating his vows.

It's a strong indicator that they didn't have proof to hang him, but it would serve at least to save their own bacon in PR, unless Fr. Corapi was foollish enough to return and help them pay off a sex abuse claim.

Just as you accuse other people of making false accusations without any evidence, I think it would be fair of you to refrain from doing the same. You have no proof that SOLT is trying to extort Fr. Corapi and you have no proof that they falsely accused him. Unfortunately, the only people that know the truth are the people involved.

That's why I said I don't care about who's right. Fight for your priesthood and innocence. Don't just walk away. If it were me, and they were slandering me/extorting me, I'd want to fight them with all I had. He's not. He's just walking away.
(08-01-2011, 11:03 PM)damooster Wrote:

Just as you accuse other people of making false accusations without any evidence, I think it would be fair of you to refrain from doing the same. You have no proof that SOLT is trying to extort Fr. Corapi and you have no proof that they falsely accused him. Unfortunately, the only people that know the truth are the people involved.

That's why I said I don't care about who's right. Fight for your priesthood and innocence. Don't just walk away. If it were me, and they were slandering me/extorting me, I'd want to fight them with all I had. He's not. He's just walking away.

It's a fairly strong indicator and a powerful incentive to make up trumped up charges, don't you think?

They did in fact make up one thing in their list of accusations that wasn't true.

It's a patent lie that they insist that Father Corapi had taken a vow of poverty.
(08-01-2011, 11:07 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:

It's a fairly strong indicator and a powerful incentive to make up trumped up charges, don't you think?

They did in fact make up one thing in their list of accusations that wasn't true.

It's a patent lie that they insist that Father Corapi had taken a vow of poverty.

I could very well be mistaken here, but didn't Fr. Corapi once say that he did take a vow of poverty? He said something along the lines of he didn't even own the watch he was wearing. I'll have to do some digging to find it, but not tonight (I'm going to bed after this post).

Could they be making trumped up charges? Absolutely. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised given the current state of the Church. But there's no proof of it, just theories. It's the same argument being made against those that believe Fr. Corapi is guilty. Again, no proof.

So the faithful are left to make their own charitable assumptions, charitable being the key word. My gut tells me that Fr. Corapi is guilty to some degree, but since I can't prove it, I've refrained from commenting on it (guilt or innocence that is) lately. Charity.
(08-01-2011, 11:47 PM)damooster Wrote:
(08-01-2011, 11:07 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:

I could very well be mistaken here, but didn't Fr. Corapi once say that he did take a vow of poverty? He said something along the lines of he didn't even own the watch he was wearing. I'll have to do some digging to find it, but not tonight (I'm going to bed after this post).

Could they be making trumped up charges? Absolutely. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised given the current state of the Church. But there's no proof of it, just theories. It's the same argument being made against those that believe Fr. Corapi is guilty. Again, no proof.

So the faithful are left to make their own charitable assumptions, charitable being the key word. My gut tells me that Fr. Corapi is guilty to some degree, but since I can't prove it, I've refrained from commenting on it (guilt or innocence that is) lately. Charity.

Considering the MO of the Bishop of Corpus and those of the Bishops in general and their behavior in the past, I'm convinced of that.

Father Corapi may have said something analogous to "vow of poverty", but I'd have to hear what was exactly said.  He may have made some kind of resolution to simplicity, but according to Bishop Gracida, and what I understand about the Constitution, the Constitution was re-written in ninety three and Father Corapi was grandfathered in under the old rule, which in any event, is rather loose as you can gather from looking at the other men working in that society.
(08-01-2011, 10:47 PM)damooster Wrote: Being from the Diocese of Arlington, this reminds me of Fr. Haley. For those of you who don't know Fr. Haley, he was a priest that repeatedly tried to inform Bishop Loverde of the terrible things that were going on in the diocese. The bishop ignored him and later suspended him for testifying in a court case that he was subpoenaed to testify in. Rather than give up, Fr. Haley has been moving around the country, waiting for his opportunity to have his case heard. It's been over 9 years and Fr. Haley is still fighting.

You can read about the whole thing here: http://www.dailycatholic.org/issue/2003Feb/febfor1.htm

Fr. Haley was an associate pastor at my local parish when I was in college. It was the last parish he served before he get suspended. He gave good sermons and really seemed to mean business. I remember when all this stuff went down.

Do you know what he's up to now? Is he still suspended? Pretty ridiculous, considering he never engaged in scandalous behavior or sexual impropriety.
(08-01-2011, 10:25 PM)HotRod Wrote: You guys have pretty much killed the thread  ;D   Also, I  dont think anyone is reading all your banter.

LOL, does it really matter if they read it or not??  Because in the end(there may not be an end) all  the back and forth bickering will continue with no resolute in sight!! >:(  People have their  different opinions on Fr. Corapi and u can't change anyone's mind.
(08-02-2011, 04:43 AM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote:

LOL, does it really matter if they read it or not??  Because in the end(there may not be an end) all  the back and forth bickering will continue with no resolute in sight!! >:(   People have their  different opinions on Fr. Corapi and u can't change anyone's mind.

If you bother to look at the facts, you'll agree with those of us who are defending him.  Perhaps you're convinced this is fruitless, but people like you aren't the reason I write, necessarily.
(08-02-2011, 09:43 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Perhaps you're convinced this is fruitless, but people like you aren't the reason I write, necessarily.

Did i say anything about the way you write????

In case you didn't know, my post was a generalization and not directing at any one person, including yourself!!!
Take it easy! :o