Rape consequences
if a woman were to conceive due to rape and is heavily siding with aborting the baby because she does not want to be reminded of the traumatic event that happened to her what should one tell her?

If her family insists than an abortion is the right course what is to be done?
Never ever ever ever in any circumstances.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(07-21-2011, 04:59 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Never ever ever ever in any circumstances.

I agree. Abortion is never the answer.

I think the question is not whether it should be done or not. The OP is trying to solicit pastoral responses to someone in such a situation, i.e. what sort of persuasive and compassionate argument may be used. Am I right?
The same goes for incest and all the other "reasons" a person gives for abortion.  

It is NEVER ok.  Even if the mother has a 99% chance of dying from birth.  Never right.  

And I think that the current figures are only 1 in a hundred thouasnd women die in child birth anyhow.  So thats bullcrap anytime someone says "well what about the health of the mother?"

How about her spiritual health?  Does she want to stand before God as someone who has committed infanticide?  I don't think so.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(07-21-2011, 05:10 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: The same goes for incest and all the other "reasons" a person gives for abortion.  

It is NEVER ok.  Even if the mother has a 99% chance of dying from birth.  Never right.  

And I think that the current figures are only 1 in a hundred thouasnd women die in child birth anyhow.  So thats bullcrap anytime someone says "well what about the health of the mother?"

How about her spiritual health?  Does she want to stand before God as someone who has committed infanticide?  I don't think so.

Ah.

Tell her that by killing the child she's committing an act worse than the one done to her.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
I'm not libertarian, but this article is highly sound.

http://www.l4l.org/library/aborrape.html
If a stranger's child came to her, afraid, terrified of their awful father, in very much danger of life and limb because of his criminal behavior, would she protect that child or throw him/her out into the cold to be killed?
(07-21-2011, 04:59 PM)love alabama Wrote: if a woman were to conceive due to rape and is heavily siding with aborting the baby because she does not want to be reminded of the traumatic event that happened to her what should one tell her?

If her family insists than an abortion is the right course what is to be done?

Killing the baby is just adding another act of traumatic violence to the initial one.  It is not going to help the woman to heal.  Going through the pregnancy and learning to deal with the painful memories will be much better for her.  It is better to bring good out of evil than to counter it with more evil.
Ends does not justify means.