Aussie Bishop Wards off the State's Manipulation of Abuse Hysteria and Defends C

Edit: this is simple, but it's courageous and edifying. The message is, "hands off the Church, you vulgarians."

Ballarat bishop says confession is sacred

BY TOM MCILROY

BALLARAT’S Catholic bishop has rejected calls to force priests to report admissions of child sexual abuse taken during confession, to police.

South Australian independent senator Nick Xenophon this week called for priests to be required to report all admissions of child abuse to police, breaching the confidence of a priest and his parishioner.

Bishop Peter Connors called on law makers to respect the sacrament of confession...

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2011...tates.html
I like Nick Xenophon, but I think he should just stick to his anti-pokies campaigns and leave ecclesiastical matters to, well, the Church. He's Greek Orthodox (apparently), so I would expect him to have at least some respect for the sacrament of confession; but then again, Eastern Orthodox believers hardly ever seem to go to confession. It wasn't offered at all during the week at any of the EO parishes I ever visited.
(07-22-2011, 11:12 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: Eastern Orthodox believers hardly ever seem to go to confession. It wasn't offered at all during the week at any of the EO parishes I ever visited.

Don't know what sort of Orthodox you visited, but when I was Serbian Orthodox we confessed before every Communion and the fasted until we received and there were quite a few Communicants at every Divine Liturgy.
(07-22-2011, 11:16 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-22-2011, 11:12 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: Eastern Orthodox believers hardly ever seem to go to confession. It wasn't offered at all during the week at any of the EO parishes I ever visited.

Don't know what sort of Orthodox you visited, but when I was Serbian Orthodox we confessed before every Communion and the fasted until we received and there were quite a few Communicants at every Divine Liturgy.

I've heard the same about ROCOR and other Slavic groups, so that's encouraging. I only went to Antiochian and Greek Orthodox parishes. There was no confession available, although I assume that one could make a private appointment with a priest. Nonetheless, I asked the parishioners about confessions times at the Antiochian parish and they told me "oh, we don't really do that here, but sometimes Abouna ('Father') hears confessions on Easter Saturday."
OCA is a travesty

What about the possibility of the priest withholding absolution from a person until they turned themselves into the police?
I think this has been discussed before but I couldn't find the thread.
(07-30-2011, 03:12 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: What about the possibility of the priest withholding absolution from a person until they turned themselves into the police?

That's standard procedure, isn't it, except in extenuating circumstances.
(07-30-2011, 07:18 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:
(07-30-2011, 03:12 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: What about the possibility of the priest withholding absolution from a person until they turned themselves into the police?

That's standard procedure, isn't it, except in extenuating circumstances.

Thats what I thought.

I guess the problem could be though,  that the person would not avail himself of the Sacrament at all if he knew he had to turn himself in to get absolution.
(07-30-2011, 11:41 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: I guess the problem could be though,  that the person would not avail himself of the Sacrament at all if he knew he had to turn himself in to get absolution.

Some people want the weight off their chest and going to the police after making a good confession is a relief.

Of course, it depends on the crime.