Voris responds to Shea... This is getting good
(07-31-2011, 03:29 AM)Joshua Wrote:
Augstine Baker Wrote:Without Dogmas, you can't express the structure and the meaning of the Liturgy.  I think that's pretty clear.

It is pretty clear. That is my point. The relationship between Dogma and Liturgy is reciprocal and symbiotic. One is not less essential than the other. Dogma is used to express the intricate meaning and beauty of the liturgy. Whereas compelling man to worship our Lord (in conformity with His rites) is the principal end and purpose of all dogma. In addition, it is the inexpressible merit of the liturgy that provides the most efficacious means of grace for man to accept Catholic dogma.
Augstine Baker Wrote:And having the Catholic Faith also implies that you practice it, which includes fulfilling the tenets of the Church.

We were not speaking of possessing the Catholic faith. Having the Catholic faith implies an equal reverence and necessity for both dogma and liturgy. What we we're discussing was the false dichotomy you and others are attempting to propagate between Dogma and Liturgy. If a Catholic does not profess the equal and absolute necessity of both, then he does not possess the Catholic faith in its entirety.

And I'm saying that Dogma and the Catholic Faith it is expressed in is more important than the Liturgy.  I've provided a couple of examples for this already.  Here is another: If I'm catechizing someone, I'm going to start with what must be believed, even before I get into the Liturgy, or talking about all that Micheal Davies stuff about comparing the NO to the TLM.  I may even encourage someone to attend the NO if there are no other Liturgies available, for example.  When talking to such a person, I can't even begin to talk about the Mass without the Dogmas, and while the Mass is an expression of those Dogmas, again, I can't even begin to talk about the Liturgy until I've explained the dogmas.

I'm also entering here into questions of which Liturgy, and that may be Maronite, Coptic, Chaldean, Syriac, Glagolithic and so on... it's all fairly significant, but it's the way it goes.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Voris responds to Shea... This is getting good - by Augstine Baker - 07-31-2011, 09:07 AM