RIP Archbishop Sambi
(07-29-2011, 12:28 AM)Servire Deo Wrote: Then why are certain people denied a Catholic burial?

1. Because of the message it sends.  However if you think that when someone is denies a Catholic burial it means they are presumed damned, you are seriously seriously mistaken.

2. Neither you nor I determine if someone gets a Catholic burial.  Neither you nor I determine who has been damned.
(07-28-2011, 07:36 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: He's dead and presumed damned. Where else are ipso facto excommunicants presumed to be?

I know about Purgatory and it doesn't look like, according to how he lived his life, he's in it.

Don't know what your faith is, but I'll pray for your conversion to the Catholic Faith, whole and entire as taught by Rome for almost 2, 000 years.
(07-29-2011, 07:58 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(07-29-2011, 12:28 AM)Servire Deo Wrote: Then why are certain people denied a Catholic burial?

1. Because of the message it sends.  However if you think that when someone is denies a Catholic burial it means they are presumed damned, you are seriously seriously mistaken.

2. Neither you nor I determine if someone gets a Catholic burial.  Neither you nor I determine who has been damned.

Excellent reply.  There is provision in Canon Law for denying a public Catholic burial where the situation may be a cause of scandal.  However that determination is, first of all, made by the proper Ecclesiastical authorities, not by random laity; and that provison doesn't preclude private Masses and prayers for the deceased.

Second Macabees 12:46 It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.

Least there be another snarky reply like throwing around scriptural quotes makes you look Protestant. one will never catch a protestant citing either of the Books of the Macabees.