Trad Monks
Thank you all for confirming the Clear Creek monks' awesomeness... I should go on retreat there or something...
(07-29-2011, 01:46 PM)Dust Wrote: Thank you all for confirming the Clear Creek monks' awesomeness... I should go on retreat there or something...

I HIGHLY recommend it. Agree to do manual labor with them, take all your meals with them, and attend as much of the Office as you can. It will make a huge impact on you. The local layfolks are very friendly, too. Many of the families attend at least Mass and Vespers daily.
(07-29-2011, 01:44 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(07-29-2011, 01:42 PM)dan hunter Wrote: I used to go to a TLM where the priest did the reading and the Gospel ONLY in the vernacular from the altar he did not read them in Latin at all.
Is that permitted?

No, that is forbidden in the TLM.

For clarity's sake, the monks at Clear Creek and the French trad parishes I mentioned above sing the readings in Latin.

Well, vernacular readings are permitted now because of Summorum Pontificum. Before 2007, they weren't.
(07-29-2011, 01:51 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Well, vernacular readings are permitted now because of Summorum Pontificum. Before 2007, they weren't.

Really? Lame!
(07-29-2011, 01:55 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(07-29-2011, 01:51 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Well, vernacular readings are permitted now because of Summorum Pontificum. Before 2007, they weren't.

Really? Lame!

Yeah.

Summorum Pontificum Wrote:Art. 6. In Masses celebrated in the presence of the people in accordance with the Missal of Bl. John XXIII, the readings may be given in the vernacular, using editions recognised by the Apostolic See.

The big question is, what are these approved editions?
but does Summorum Pontificum permit the readings to be done only in the vernacular?
(07-29-2011, 01:56 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
Summorum Pontificum Wrote:Art. 6. In Masses celebrated in the presence of the people in accordance with the Missal of Bl. John XXIII, the readings may be given in the vernacular, using editions recognised by the Apostolic See.
The big question is, what are these approved editions?
Hopefully not just the f-ing NAB...
(07-29-2011, 01:57 PM)dan hunter Wrote: but does Summorum Pontificum permit the readings to be done only in the vernacular?

Yes. Of course, "second readings" in the vernacular were already common practice even before the Council, at least in the U.S. And the SSPX in France did vernacular-only readings of the Epistle before Summorum, but I'm not sure what their justification was.
(07-29-2011, 03:35 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(07-29-2011, 01:57 PM)dan hunter Wrote: but does Summorum Pontificum permit the readings to be done only in the vernacular?

Yes. Of course, "second readings" in the vernacular were already common practice even before the Council, at least in the U.S. And the SSPX in France did vernacular-only readings of the Epistle before Summorum, but I'm not sure what their justification was.

UE clarified that this should only be done at Low Mass.  At sung/high Masses, the readings should be chanted in Latin.
(07-29-2011, 06:27 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: UE clarified that this should only be done at Low Mass.  At sung/high Masses, the readings should be chanted in Latin.

*goes to look*

Ah, so it does. Thanks for the clarification.

Universae Ecclesiae Wrote:26. As foreseen by article 6 of the Motu Proprio "Summorum Pontificum", the readings of the Holy Mass of the Missal of 1962 can be proclaimed either solely in the Latin language, or in Latin followed by the vernacular or, in Low Masses, solely in the vernacular.