Temptations against Sedevacantistism!!
(07-30-2011, 02:54 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Oh, what a shock! A woman is in charge again and suddenly the men think they don't have to follow the rules anymore.

Not every thing here has to do with men vs. women, Iolanthe.

Some people are taking advantage of the fact that there's less moderation to discuss a topic that's been going on in their heads for quite some time. It's like an escape valve of sorts.

That being said, I think people should respect the rule. It's unfair to Vox but also to fellow sedevacantists who can't fight back.

(07-30-2011, 03:00 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(07-30-2011, 02:54 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Oh, what a shock! A woman is in charge again and suddenly the men think they don't have to follow the rules anymore.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What a bunch of freakin' hypocrites.

I suspect they would behave the same way if it were a man with limted time/computer access being the moderator.  These are people who will only follow rules that are enforced, not because it is the right thing to do.

They never tried anything like this when Quis was still in charge, regardless of whether he had time to moderate. He's gone for good and here comes ggreg. and co. giving all kinds of reasons why they have the right to stop following the rules.
can we talk about methandrostenolne?
(07-30-2011, 03:06 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

Not every thing here has to do with men vs. women, Iolanthe.

Some people are taking advantage of the fact that there's less moderation to discuss a topic that's been going on in their heads for quite some time. It's like an escape valve of sorts.

That being said, I think people should respect the rule. It's unfair to Vox but also to fellow sedevacantists who can't fight back.

Why now? They may not be aware of it, but while Quis was here they had enough respect for him to follow the rules. I never saw ggreg make any kind of argument for why this topic should be allowed to be discussed. Now he's gone and they can't seem to conjure up the same respect for Vox.
I'm not sure that the motive for disregarding the rules even matters that much.  It's wrong, whatever their reason is.
(07-30-2011, 03:17 PM)JayneK Wrote: I'm not sure that the motive for disregarding the rules even matters that much.  It's wrong, whatever their reason is.

On the contrary, they should have it pointed out to them, if they're not already aware of it. Perhaps ggreg will tell everyone why exactly he thinks, now that Quis is gone, that he's allowed to ignore the rules? Maybe's not aware of his own motive, which, if I'm right, is nothing but pride.
(07-30-2011, 03:12 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Why now? They may not be aware of it, but while Quis was here they had enough respect for him to follow the rules. I never saw ggreg make any kind of argument for why this topic should be allowed to be discussed. Now he's gone and they can't seem to conjure up the same respect for Vox.

While Quis was here he was an active moderator, respected and liked by most people. People knew they couldn't get away with murder too easily.

Now that he's gone, there's a natural void in leadership. I don't think it has anything to do with Vox being a woman per se but with the fact that there's (apparently) less moderation for now. It's a bit like that situation when the boss is away from the store or the office: there's a tendency to get advantage of that.
(07-30-2011, 03:21 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(07-30-2011, 03:12 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Why now? They may not be aware of it, but while Quis was here they had enough respect for him to follow the rules. I never saw ggreg make any kind of argument for why this topic should be allowed to be discussed. Now he's gone and they can't seem to conjure up the same respect for Vox.

While Quis was here he was an active moderator, respected and liked by most people. People knew they couldn't get away with murder too easily.

Now that he's gone, there's a natural void in leadership. I don't think it has anything to do with Vox being a woman per se but with the fact that there's (apparently) less moderation for now. It's a bit like that situation when the boss is away from the store or the office: there's a tendency to get advantage of that.

There isn't less moderation. People are assuming there's going be less moderation. Quis barely posted at all in the past couple months, and I didn't see ggreg making claims that because he donated money, he's a "customer" and can talk about whatever he wants. But he's doing it now. At best he's taking advantage of the situation, but I feel pretty certain there's more going on than that.
(07-30-2011, 03:24 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:

There isn't less moderation. People are assuming there's going be less moderation. Quis barely posted at all in the past couple months, and I didn't see ggreg making claims that because he donated money, he's a "customer" and can talk about whatever he wants. But he's doing it now. At best he's taking advantage of the situation, but I feel pretty certain there's more going on than that.

Well, only ggreg can answer that.

For all it's worth, I disagree with his "customer" idea. Donating money doesn't make one a customer. However, the situation would be substantially different if it became compulsory to pay a fee in order to post here, a solution some people put forward a week ago.
(07-30-2011, 03:24 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:

I really don't think there is gender double standard going on here, although I wouldn't say it's beyond the realm of possibility.  I think the bigger thing is that Vox is just an unknown quantity for many of us who never really interacted with her.  When Quis was away from the forums we always knew he wouldn't be happy, to put it lightly, if he came back and the forums were a mess.  Vox is more of an unknown quantity and I think a lot of what we're seeing is people testing the waters to see what they can get away with.