Incorrupt bodies of the saints
Are they really incorruptible if they need wax masks?

Also, this article is interesting and fairly neutral.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorruptibility

I tend to be REALLY leery of supposed miracles.  This is just the kind of thing that makes Protestants think we are insane.  Just a step up from seeing the face of Jesus in your grilled cheese sandwich.  It's hard enough that, in my experience, most non-Catholics consider us benighted medieval peasants with the Pope's boot on our necks - things like this, which I admit COULD be supernatural. make it even harder to have a discussion about veneration of the Saints, the place of Marian devotion, transubstantiation, and the other "core" things of the Faith.

I've said it dozens of times here - Fides et Ratio - our Church invented the very idea of the university and of empiricism.  Isn't there some argument to be made that devotion to scientifically dubious events degrades rather than glorifies the Faith?  And yes - the Resurrection IS a miracle and I am not denying it, or the Transfiguration, or the Ascension, or.......just sayin', that some of the odder and more curious corners of Catholicism have some St-Christopher-type pious embellishment that may not be entirely beneficial.

I haven't rechecked the dates of death of the saints pictured here, but I am assuming that most of them are from prior to the regular use of embalming.  A properly embalmed body can, I believe, under the best conditions last between 2 and 5 years before starting to decompose (though I am willing to stand corrected on that).  So if these bodies were not embalmed.....I guess it is a little bit of a miracle, but with their faces and hands waxed over, I can't really tell from the pictures what shape they are in.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Magdalene - 07-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by salus - 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Walty - 07-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Walty - 07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Walty - 07-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Revixit - 07-31-2011, 07:46 AM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Resurrexi - 07-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Oldavid - 07-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by DesperatelySeeking - 07-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Iolanthe - 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Re: Incorrupt bodies of the saints - by Walty - 07-31-2011, 02:15 PM